Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   SBF - Wont run unless timing WAY advanced?? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sbf-wont-run-unless-timing-way-advanced-189988.html)

z-adamson 01-01-2011 09:11 PM

SBF - Wont run unless timing WAY advanced??

Initial start up of new Ford Racing crate motor.

The motor will not run unless the timing is advanced to about 50-60 degrees BTDC!!! If I try to bring the timing back down to 15*-20* btdc then the motor backfires through the intake and dies very quickly.

This is the motor:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11069

Instread of using the MSD dizzy, an OE points dizzy is currently installed with a standard motor products OE type coil. The vacuum line is removed from the dizzy as I am doing this.

The plug wires are properly installed.

I did get piston #1 at 0* btdc and line up the rotor with the cap terminal that goes to cylinder #1 plug wire. I double and triple checked all this.

What could be causing this problem?

Extra info....

No vacuum leaks
200 psi in each cylinder
6psi fuel pressure
500 cfm eddy carb
10.25:1 compression ratio

Thanks in advance

scholman 01-01-2011 09:23 PM

z-adamson,

If what you say is correct then there is nothing wrong with the engine.
Put it in the car and let her run!

Scholman

z-adamson 01-01-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scholman
z-adamson,

If what you say is correct then there is nothing wrong with the engine.
Put it in the car and let her run!

Scholman

The engine is in the car and I am trying to get it to run..........properly.

As I mentioned, the timing has to be advanced very far just to get it to run at all, and even then it runs like crap for lack of a better word.

mud.man.rj 01-01-2011 09:29 PM

small prob

Maybe the balancer slipped on itself so the marks doesn't line up with tab or you really are out 1 wire on cap. When you advance it to where it runs good does it line up with next wire on cap ?

z-adamson 01-01-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj
Maybe the balancer slipped on itself so the marks doesn't line up with tab or you really are out 1 wire on cap. When you advance it to where it runs good does it line up with next wire on cap ?

If I was one out on the cap and advancing it to get it to run right I would be able to get the initial timing set to 15* by turning the cap enough, althoug it might take a lot of turning. As it is, I can't get an initial timing of 15* no matter what without the motor dying/backfiring.

The mark on the balancer does line up with the tab. If I manually turn the crank untill #1 is at TDC compression stroke (I can feel the compression with my finger @ the spark plug hole plus I can see that both valves are closed), the makings on the damper line up perfectly with the tab.

eloc431962 01-02-2011 06:11 AM

What timing chain and gears is in it ? Someone could have already advanced the timing or retarded it at the chain and gears. JMO

Cole

Deuce 01-02-2011 07:35 AM

Because this is MORE of a engine question than a general question, as Moderator I am going to move this to the ENGINE area where hopefully it will be viewed by members with SBF engine experiences.

Deuce ... Moderator :D

powerhunter 01-02-2011 07:54 AM

Could be a short in your coil wire.Happened to me once, couldn't get the timing set cause every time I turned the dizzy it would pull on the wire and create a short.

eloc431962 01-02-2011 12:57 PM

So i see you have two threads on the same subject. :eek: :nono:

Cole

z-adamson 01-02-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eloc431962
So i see you have two threads on the same subject. :eek: :nono:

Cole

Yes, I put one thread in one general tec and another here in the engine section thinking I would get more hits. A moderator moved the other one here and now I have two threads in the same section.

My apoligies.