Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Scanned some photos of my shop way back when, ahh good times.
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
My own experience was also rewarding... but more in the sense of taking the total responsibility of my income. Up until that point, it had always been "extra money".

I bought the property, so It was all on the table. I learned some valuable lessons...

I listened too much to some of my "career paint and body guys", instead of listening to my gut.

The Corvette market was exploding, so the last couple years I put most of my trust in that one market, and filled the shop with Corvette work. Unfortunately, the market was "artificially inflated"... and when it collapsed, if was devastating! (Today I diversify... always!)

Lastly, I thought my first wife (of 18 years) was behind me all of the way. When things got tight financially, she asked me to leave... filed for divorce... and added to my crumbling finances. The lesson? Marry a person of character! ...which I finally have now... and for always!

What I also learned was that I wanted to be "hands-on"... hence a smaller business today, which also survives slow economies better, and allows me to be an artist/painter, instead of babysitting people who are not as committed to the craft.

Sometimes you have to have painful experiences to remember the lessons for life! :-)

Here are a few pictures. Hope you don't mind me invading your thread. {:-)
No problem Jay, the story and the photos put a smile on my face, sounds all to familiar. Thanks for sharing. What is the glass body you are sitting in, it rings a bell but I can't place it.

Brian