Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Scanned some photos of my shop way back when, ahh good times.
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A little more Devin history for you.

Bill Devin was a driver for the factory Ferrari team. That's probably why he favored Italian inspired body styling. :-)

He was one of the earliest pioneers in the fiberglass kit car business, entering it in the fifties.

The bodies were all hand laid with cloth instead of mat... and very thin.

The three production models were the Devin SS, with it's corvette powertrain... the Devin C with a Corvair power train... and the Devin D with VW power. I think there were only about a dozen SS model sold.

Actually Devin made many different sized bodies, using modular molds which could be stretched or widened. He also offered the fairing-style headrests. Whatever you had... they could probably provide a body that would fit pretty well.

There were three basic styles. The SS had a higher rear deck, and about a 10 inch high grill opening. The C & D models had no grill opening... and the rest had about a 6 inch grill opening.

Here are pictures of a couple of the cars I was involved with. The red one is the Roger McCluskey built car, that I finished. It was the largest kit body available.

The gray car was a kit body that was the same as the SS models. We built it to a "roller" with Jag suspension, early Corvette 283 engine, Dunlop wheels, and we duplicated the convertible top bows, door, hood, and trunk hinges and latches from one of the C models we restored.

One of those C models was the very last car ever built, and was handed over to my customer, who had been in a working relationship with Bill Devin. He was a go-between to acquire new Chevy and Corvair engines for Devin's production cars. In the late '80s, the two of us went to California to see Devin, and try to start producing replica bodies. He wanted too much money to make any profit at all, so we abandoned the effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 009 (4).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	71265   Click image for larger version

Name:	my pictures346.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	71266  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (02-11-2013), MARTINSR (02-11-2013)