Scat crank i.d. Cast or forged - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Scat crank i.d. Cast or forged

I am changing out the HV pump for a Std when i noticed the stamped number 3400-F with 10 stamped on the other side of the counterweight. No doubt there are experts here who will know by the surface finish which crank this is. cast or forged.?????? I thought i was looking at a cast Scat crank with a cast parting line,when i dropped out the HV pump. The Scat web site shows cast cranks with much smoother surface finish. Not sure what i have here. The scat techs are still replying to an enquiry at the mo.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7230089.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	841.5 KB
ID:	66956   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7230095.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	66957   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7230094.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	832.8 KB
ID:	66958  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mustang Al. View Post
I am changing out the HV pump for a Std when i noticed the stamped number 3400-F with 10 stamped on the other side of the counterweight. No doubt there are experts here who will know by the surface finish which crank this is. cast or forged.?????? I thought i was looking at a cast Scat crank with a cast parting line,when i dropped out the HV pump. The Scat web site shows cast cranks with much smoother surface finish. Not sure what i have here. The scat techs are still replying to an enquiry at the mo.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Al.
It's not too easy to see, but if the circled area is the parting line, it looks to me to be very thin- making it a cast crank if that's the case and not me seeing things.

The "3400" could be the stroke, a "10" (or 10-10, 10-20, etc.) often indicated a turned down journal. If your engine has a 3.4" stroke (commonly used to make a 347 ci Ford) and you used a .010" under bearing, that would be a pretty good indication.

More photos of a Scat cast nodular 3.4" stroke Ford crank from Skip White:

Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
It's not too easy to see, but if the circled area is the parting line, it looks to me to be very thin- making it a cast crank if that's the case and not me seeing things.

The "3400" could be the stroke, a "10" (or 10-10, 10-20, etc.) often indicated a turned down journal. If your engine has a 3.4" stroke (commonly used to make a 347 ci Ford) and you used a .010" under bearing, that would be a pretty good indication.

More photos of a Scat cast nodular 3.4" stroke Ford crank from Skip White:

Hi Co .Thanks. Yes the 347 has a stroke of 3.4 and a bore of 4.030 so that would explain the 3400 number stamp. I have Clevite STD rod brgs( CB634H) and the main journal nominal dia . of 2.249 which is a std journal , so the "10" may be something else. And the "F" for ......
BTW. I put that sump temp sender pic up for you.

Al.

Just adding this note from an email i just received from the tech dept. Scat Enterprises in California. I guess this answers the question of what the "F" is for.

LOOKING AT THE PICTURE, YOU HAVE A 4340 FORGED CRANK.
THANK YOU,
BRIAN

Last edited by 67Mustang Al.; 07-23-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Mustang Al. View Post
BTW. I put that sump temp sender pic up for you.

Al.
Got it, thanks. I've already uploaded it to the wiki, just need to find (or make) a home for it.

Quote:
THANK YOU,
BRIAN
Great- this is one time I don't mind being wrong at all!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Paisano

Last wiki edit: How to remove an ignition key lock
Wiki Edits: 4

I sold one on e-bay a while back,and it looked identical to what you have except it didn't have the "F" stamping.And mine was a cast unit.
Big differance in big bucks though,as the cast unit is an import that Scat sells
Paisano
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Got it, thanks. I've already uploaded it to the wiki, just need to find (or make) a home for it.

Great- this is one time I don't mind being wrong at all!
Hi Co.. Oh good. Yes i thought i had a cast crank too so now this 347 becomes a beast with a forged crank. The way i drive the 67 , its never going to suffer a bottom end failure, touch wood. Now i can "big note" about the engine when someone asks. Nice bonus co.327.
Al.

P.s. Apart from the HV pump pushing too much oil for my needs, i thought the pressure was creeping up on the analog electic gauge . I noticed just beofre i drained the sump and took off the pan that the gauge was reading 20 psi with ignition on , wthout the engine. I swapped it out for a check with a mechanical gauge and found the true oil pressure to be 60 max and not 80.
AFter cutting open the "chinese" sender i found the end wound loop had slipped on the insulator giving a false reading.
Learn soomething evey day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7220078.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	66967   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7220082.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	799.7 KB
ID:	66968  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Wop View Post
I sold one on e-bay a while back,and it looked identical to what you have except it didn't have the "F" stamping.And mine was a cast unit.
Big differance in big bucks though,as the cast unit is an import that Scat sells
Paisano
Thanks for your reply. It turns out after a reply from Scat Enterprises California, the F indicates a forged crank. I am not sure what the price difference would be so from what youre saying this is a "MADE IN USA" scat crank. Cheers.
Al.

THANK YOU,
BRIAN
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Paisano

Last wiki edit: How to remove an ignition key lock
Wiki Edits: 4

Your lucky,cause your crankshaft is double the price of the cast.There is a site
called "survival motor sports .com" they do nothing but Ford FE's and all the parts are listed there from Scat rotating assemblies to complete motors.Their big block ford knowlege will blow your mind.
Good luck,
Paisano,
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Wop View Post
Your lucky,cause your crankshaft is double the price of the cast.There is a site
called "survival motor sports .com" they do nothing but Ford FE's and all the parts are listed there from Scat rotating assemblies to complete motors.Their big block ford knowlege will blow your mind.
Good luck,
Paisano,
Thanks Paisano for the link to that site . Here is a copy of the crank price details. I see what you mean.
Al.

Scat Ford Small Block 4340 Forged Crankshaft, 3.400 Stroke 5.400 Rod Length, 2.123 Rod Journal,

$1,101.45 and $602.76 for the cast.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.