Scat forged or cast???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Scat forged or cast????

Scat forged or cast????

Scat has two Chevy 400 small block rotating assembly kits that I am considering for my 406 buildup.

The first kit has SRP forged pistons, H-beam rods, and a 4340 forged crank (very nice) $1559 ouch!

The second kit has SRS (Probe Industries ?) forged pistons, I-beam rods, and a Series 9000 cast crank $899 (much better on the pocket book).

The compression ratio I will be running is about 9.8 to 1
92 octane pump gas street/bracket 72 Chevelle

My question is would it be safe to go with the cast crank and I-beam rods in the $899 kit for my 406 buildup?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2003, 02:56 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

It all depends on how much HP you wanna make and how high of revs your are going to take it too. If you want a high horse motor that's gonna spin real high too, don't take the cheap route, it'll cost you more in the long run (when they give on ya). But if it's going to be a mild motor, there's nothing wrong with the lesser expensive assembly.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:15 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i thought scat had cast cranks for way cheaper than that even but i guess not. i've heard that when they go a cast crank doesnt come apart to the extent that forged ones will but most of your higher performance engines came with forged cranks so... i think even a cast crank from an aftermarket co like scat would have to be better than a factory forged unit but i could be wrong. you can get cheaper cast cranks out of summit for under 200. if you want to save money you could do that. their stage two rods and hyperuetectic pistons with a crank are like in the 800 dollar range. scat's ads for forged cranks at $1200 always make me wonder who's buying them all that they can afford to run that ad month after month. that's alot of advertising money.

if you get stuff at summit plan on forged crank for $590, stage two rods at $370, k-b pistons at $230, total seal gapless rings at $200 and youre screamin for $1400. can probably get the package deal for alot less or including gaskets and bearings at the very least.

Last edited by bullheimer; 06-18-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

If you are on a budget some of the ebay sellers can really save you some money. I got a 4340 eagle crank for $330, Prowler 4340 Pro Billet I beam rods with ARP 7/16 cap screws for $430, and SRP forged pistons for $350. I guess some concider is a risk, but I got top quality parts and had no problems. I talked to all of the sellers in depth to get an idea of there return policies. All of them agreed to replace the parts if any machining problems or blemishes were found.

Chris
Old 06-18-2003, 06:02 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

I will be running about 446HP at 5500rpm and 480lbs Torque at 4000rpm at the flywheel and take the revís up to 6500rpm.

Scat does have cheaper cranks I believe you can get a cast crank for about $225, the forged crank that comes with the kit am considering costs $665 when purchased separately.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

I recently purchased Scat forged h-beam rods...$350...and a forged 4340 sbc 350 crank for $550...from internet outlets...all nice pieces...
Old 06-18-2003, 07:05 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. Nastynova Those are some great prices, I am not familiar with internet outlets can you give more details please?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

I will have to find the paper work for the rods...but,I got the crank from www.cnc-motorsports.com
he should have the rods too, probably cheaper than where i got mine...let me know if you need anything else...

my crank was for a one-piece rear seal...earlier ones should be cheaper...

I was wrong...crank was $509 plus $15 shipping...

Last edited by nastynova; 06-18-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would not worry about a steal crank at less than 500 HP. A set of the 5140 steal rods would also work nicely at that level. This site sells the rods and crank at the best prices I have seen on the net. I bought a radiator, fluid balancer and my 4340 rods from him. Very good to deal with. This link will take you there. He also has pistons at very good prices. Ask to speak to tony if you call in to order. I think he is the owner.

Chris
Old 06-18-2003, 11:34 PM

Last photo:

I've got a SCAT 9000 series crank in my 331 stroker. The quality is very good and the machine work excellent. Every journal right on the money. Mine is N/A and won't have any power adders.

A local racer has a 9000 series crank that he has made over 1500 passes on in the 10 second range. Still going strong. That was good enough for me.

I also have the SCAT H-beam rods. Same thing: high quality and the balance was within 1/2 gram on 8 of them.

I HIGHLY recommend SCAT products.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

i see alot of people racing with the scat 9000 cranks all the time so i got me one at 199 cant beat that price scat i beam rods 249 and kb hyper pistons 250 my moter isnt kryptonite but i feel safe running 500hp at 6500rpm i found these @flatlanderracing.com
Old 06-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Another example of the Scat 9000 series crank is my friends 63 Galaxie. He put a 4.5" stroke crank in a 557 and his combination makes somewhere around 750 horsepower. Enough to push his 3600 pound car to 9.89 @136. A teardown this year showed some minor wear on the bearings, the crank still looks great. He also added a few slugs of heavy metal to internal balance it. I redid a SBC and had to get a $175.00 crank kit that looks like junk and then a month later met a machinist that could get me a stroker 9000 series crank for #189.00. Oh well, I'll know for next time.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:55 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. Not only can I save some money going to some of the web site listed, but I am leaning towards the scat 9000 series cast crank, that will save me about 300 buck.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:12 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

I got the series 9000 also. Havent used it yet, still sitting in the basement. I mic'ed the day i got it, and every journal was right on the money.
Check out Dirt Track Thunder for some good prices.

C

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.