Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - scatter shield
Thread: scatter shield
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:06 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There is more details than just getting the bellhousing. You want a plate between the engine and the clutch to help protect the back of the engine too.
Without a mid plate with extra long dowel pins,you want in the case of a bellhousing failure,a cable to run under the engine to prevent the oil pan from dropping down on the steering linkage. If that where to happen,it takes a really bad day and turns it into a miscible day when you can't steer it. Grade 8 bolts only please.Really doesn't make much sense to have a bellhousing contain the explosion to have the bellhousing to block bolts shear off.Remember with a stickshift car and the shock loads your putting the drive train though,you'll only as good as the leakiest link.So the u-joints of the caliper of Lakewood's,to driveshaft loops,to a rear end that can take the shock load,to axles.

Now I know you didn't ask this question,but I think it is something you want to consider.You like anyone should be doing everything you can to get the car to hook.Stick shift cars are known for wheelstands.They might look cool,but unless your prepared for the track's largest wheelstand of the season,it will be the regret of the season for you.One thing I am speaking of is oil control and a trap door in the oil pan to prevent all the oil from rushing to the back of the oil pan. Of course a consideration for a front suspension that can survive a wheelstand without lost of control or damages.

I hope I gave you some help and food for thought.

Race or hot rod safe and in the end I hope you have the same fond memories I enjoy.