Hot Rod Forum banner

School me on gauges

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
I have a 54 chevy 3100. The electrical system has been converted to 12Volt. I am wondering If I can use my original 6v gauges. There are two gauges: The speedo & the cluster of oil, temp, fuel, & amps

The speedo I going to assume I need something to step down the voltage going to it, hook up a cable and it should be proper. (Or am I dead wrong?)

The cluster, I would assume I need to reduce the voltage as well.

-how do I accommodate for a SB350 replacing the stock engine?
(that would affect the temp & oil)

-The gas tank will be a different volume, when I install a new on under the bed.

Any light on the topic would be helpful.
I have some experience with other forms of electrical work and can solder well. So If I can I would like to modify my original gauges.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi
The only electric going to your speedometer is for the lights, take your 6v bulb to the auto store & find one that's the same except it's 12v (about same candle power, single contact single filament. about same physical size bulb)
Aren't the oil pressure & water gages mechanical? As for the bulbs do as before.
The gas tank. The sending unit in the tank is an adjustable rheostat.
Rich

#6 ·
i believe rs3rd is correct in that you have mechanical gauges.
IMO you should bypass the amp gauge or convert it to a volt gauge.
if you add to the electrical system, i don't see a need to run all the load thru your dash.
i converted my 58 amp gauge to a volt gauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.