School me on torque converters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

School me on torque converters

I've been around Hot Rodding since the early 80's and we used to think a 2500 stall convertor was a very loose converter and the absolute limit for a street driven vehicle. Now a days it seems like people are using very high stall torque converters (3000 plus stall) in there everyday driven vehicles without drivability problems. What gives? Has torque converter technology advanced that much more? School me!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

difference is this and only this

the off the shelf converter, and the built to order converter.. that is 4 times the money.. but works with YOUR COMBO.. not 1500 combo's like the off the shelf one has to try to do..
Old 07-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,163 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpd66 View Post
I've been around Hot Rodding since the early 80's and we used to think a 2500 stall convertor was a very loose converter and the absolute limit for a street driven vehicle. Now a days it seems like people are using very high stall torque converters (3000 plus stall) in there everyday driven vehicles without drivability problems. What gives? Has torque converter technology advanced that much more? School me!
"driveability" does not mean the same thing to all persons. A 2500 stall re-hashed 12" diameter unit does not behave the same as a deliberately built 2500 stall 10" unit.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
"driveability" does not mean the same thing to all persons. A 2500 stall re-hashed 12" diameter unit does not behave the same as a deliberately built 2500 stall 10" unit.
What exactly is the difference in behavior between the two though?
My experience has been that the 10" will flash higher rpm and maybe a bit quicker, but I've had a 12" that did fine for it's purpose as well.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

I run a 5500 stall on my car and is just fine driving on the street. Keep in mind it is not a daily driver. When I'm just cruising you would never know the stall was that high. The quality converters are not as "mushy" as the cheaper ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to prostreet6t9 For This Useful Post:
Crosley (07-23-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
difference is this and only this

the off the shelf converter, and the built to order converter.. that is 4 times the money.. but works with YOUR COMBO.. not 1500 combo's like the off the shelf one has to try to do..
Hmmm, seems to be what I was missing. I wasn't aware there was that much difference between an "off the shelf" torque converter and a custom built one. On a custom built converter can they control how much slippage there is before the stall speed? Would this make a torque converter with a relatively high stall speed more street able?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:00 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpd66 View Post
Hmmm, seems to be what I was missing. I wasn't aware there was that much difference between an "off the shelf" torque converter and a custom built one. On a custom built converter can they control how much slippage there is before the stall speed? Would this make a torque converter with a relatively high stall speed more street able?
In a nutshell....YES.

Cheap converters get stall rpm using wide internal clearances and less than ideal internal fin angles for a often incorrect diameter Core(typically too large a core choice), where a true custom converter gets much tighter clearances and more ideal correct fin angles on a proper size converter core.

The "tight" small core custom will be better at everything than a "loose" too large a core off-the-shelf fits-all converter.

Just an example, there was a converter company about 10 years ago caller "GER", had big 2-page yellow and black ads in all the hot rod publications....saw one of their $149 3500 stall "street/strip" converters opened up at my local race trans builders shop...they got the 3500 stall using stock internal parts to a FWD car converter core and pounding 3 fins over flat inside at 4 locations clocked around the inside of the converter at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, welding a GM spline to the drive hub of the inner turbine, and welding on a GM drive neck...it stalled 3500 rpm all right, and was incredible mushy and generally "slippy" feeling, and had terrible mph at the finish line.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
In a nutshell....YES.

Cheap converters get stall rpm using wide internal clearances and less than ideal internal fin angles for a often incorrect diameter Core(typically too large a core choice), where a true custom converter gets much tighter clearances and more ideal correct fin angles on a proper size converter core.

The "tight" small core custom will be better at everything than a "loose" too large a core off-the-shelf fits-all converter.

Just an example, there was a converter company about 10 years ago caller "GER", had big 2-page yellow and black ads in all the hot rod publications....saw one of their $149 3500 stall "street/strip" converters opened up at my local race trans builders shop...they got the 3500 stall using stock internal parts to a FWD car converter core and pounding 3 fins over flat inside at 4 locations clocked around the inside of the converter at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, welding a GM spline to the drive hub of the inner turbine, and welding on a GM drive neck...it stalled 3500 rpm all right, and was incredible mushy and generally "slippy" feeling, and had terrible mph at the finish line.
You learn things everyday. I guess I was way off the pace on torque converters. What you described sounds just like the off the shelf converters I've used. I'll have to try a custom built one. Whats a good references for a custom converter shop?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I can tell you a real world story on the difference between a restalled (to 3000) factory 12" and Precision Industries Vigilante 3400 stall 9.5" converter. The "restall" felt like mush on takeoffs until the engine built some boost, the PI Vig acts completely normal with the exception of needing a small "goose" to get it rolling. The Vig over the restall was worth 0.5 seconds on my 0-60 and 1.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Russ
Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
I can tell you a real world story on the difference between a restalled (to 3000) factory 12" and Precision Industries Vigilante 3400 stall 9.5" converter. The "restall" felt like mush on takeoffs until the engine built some boost, the PI Vig acts completely normal with the exception of needing a small "goose" to get it rolling. The Vig over the restall was worth 0.5 seconds on my 0-60 and 1.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Russ
Wow....that's significant.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

So I can see where the custom convertor would make a difference on a serious performance rig...but what about a simple daily driver that just needs more stall? Throwing out the cheapy Ebay kind of convertor...what about an off the shelf TCI or something similar?
I ask, as I need to put a higher stall convertor in my moms 31 roadster. The car is so light it wants to move at idle against the stock convertor that's in it now.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motochris View Post
So I can see where the custom convertor would make a difference on a serious performance rig...but what about a simple daily driver that just needs more stall? Throwing out the cheapy Ebay kind of convertor...what about an off the shelf TCI or something similar?
I ask, as I need to put a higher stall convertor in my moms 31 roadster. The car is so light it wants to move at idle against the stock convertor that's in it now.
I wouldn't recommend a TCI converter. That was the last converter I bought (2500 stall 10.5" TCI) and it wasn't very street friendly. It was in a turbo 350 with a well built 383. When you foot broke the car it worked great,but normal driving it was just a pain in the a**. Taking off from a stand still sucked it revved to 2500 like you were slipping the clutch every time. Cruising at 35 mph in drive and stepping on the gas made it rev up too. Way to loose.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM
More for Less Racer

I put B&M and TCI in the same boat, not for me. ACC (Alabama Converter Corp i.e. "Boss Hog" converters) is junk.

Hughes seems to be decent for off-the-shelf for street rod guys. Coan shelf stock is ok also. Some of the Jegs brand is Coan in plain boxes.

Custom company's - Coan, ATI, FreakShow Performance, PTC, PAT, Ultimate, Neal Chance, Precision Industries,
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM

What about Edge and Circle D?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Another reason modern high stall converters can be street friendly is locking torque converters... a 3500 RPM stall converter may just slip and overheat trying to pull a stiff overdrive 4th gear at 1200 RPMs, but when locked up it acts just like a manual stick shift clutch with no slippage, no heat buildup, and good MPG... which, of course, is why the auto manufacturers went lockup...

. To expand on what the guys said above, a good torque converter does just what its name implies, it multiplies torque 2 - 2.4 times coming off the line... but if all you do is bend the fins over inside to make it slip to a higher stall speed, and ruin its efficiency, torque multiplication may seem closer to 1:1... also, it just keeps majorly slipping at higher RPMs instead of going into 'hydraulic lockup' above the stall RPMs......

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 07-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.