Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Schulz air invasion? :) (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/schulz-air-invasion-217037.html)

vige 03-21-2012 10:40 AM

Schulz air invasion? :)

Hi guys,

New to the forum. I am about to buy an air compressor that I want to use to power a sandblast cabinet and other air tools. Looking at what is available, I noticed that a Schulz 7.5hp 80 gallon comes in at a price equal to a 5hp 60 gallon Quincy. The Quincy was my first choice, but now I am starting to think that maybe Schulz is undercutting everyone else (including Eaton/Artic Air/Ingersoll, etc.) with considerably more power for the money. A Quincy in the 7.5hp 80 gallon comes in at around $3,400...over double the price of the Schulz.

What is anyone's experience with Schulz? Is it really a good deal or too good to be true?

Thanks for all opinions!
Geert

OneMoreTime 03-21-2012 10:47 AM

Never heard of those guys before..might be ok but we need to know a bit more about them..Seems like that unit is about the going price on an import unit though..

Sam

johnnyg 03-21-2012 10:47 AM

do a thread search

There are some great air compressor threads on this site.

vige 03-21-2012 10:54 AM

I agree on the good posts made previously. However, they did not provide much feedback on Schulz specifically. Additionally, it seems that in the last year or so, Schulz has been ramping up its presence in the US. All that makes me think there must be some of us that by now have bought and used a new Schulz.
And...is it possible that they represent excellent value at the moment as they are moving into the North American market? I hope this is the case as it would represent a good opportunity for me to buy now.
Geert

evolvo 03-21-2012 10:10 PM

HP and tank size are important, but what you really want to know is the CFM's of the tools you will be using and the CFM's of the compressor. A good sand blast cabinet will require quite a lot of CFM's, you don't want to have a compressor that can't keep up.

vige 03-22-2012 06:52 AM

Good point about the ratings. The Schulz is rated at 30CFM (that's a max figure to be sure, but it leaves quite a bit of room). I think the 7.5 hp on an 80 gallon tank is the right size-with some to spare-for me. I am concerned about the reliability and build quality of the Schulz. That said, almost all compressors now are reported to sport parts made elsewhere, including Polar Air, C-Air, Ingersoll Rand, etc. Quincy still uses Baldor motors, but then I read somewhere that their 5hp 60 gallon (same price category as Schulz 7.5 80) runs a 3,400 Rpm motor...that threatens to be pretty loud, imo. Anyone know about that?

johnnyg 03-22-2012 07:36 AM

I found a Shultz review at toptooltips.com, it was more of a description than a review though.

Old Fool 03-22-2012 09:49 AM

Schulz website states their 7.5 hp motor draws 5.6kw@230v.
That is 24.3 amps.
24.3 amps is 3.5 horsepower.

I think Schulz and Sears have the same advertising director.

vige 03-22-2012 12:58 PM

Aha!! Old Fool (hardly..) is in the know! That is a helpful comment. Everyone always warns that the hp ratings are deceptive and all over the board. That being the case, how do you guys feel about choosing between the Schulz 7.5 hp (really then 3.5hp) 80 gallon vs. the Quincy 5hp 60 gallon compressor. They come in at the same price right around 1400 dollars. Is there some other model that I need to include in this short list? Thanks for all advice and comments. I find this to be a big sum of money to spend before even getting started on my project. That said, I would hate to spend it to find out later that I cannot run a sandblast cabinet and that I now own a 400 pound boat anchor.

Geert

loctite 03-22-2012 08:43 PM

schulz compressor

The schulz compressor is made just north of atlanta ga. They have been thier for a lot of years building these. The amp draw on the 7.5 is 33 amps. Its 30 cfm and 80 gall tank. I have a 5 horse 60 gallon 13cfm and it will not run my blast cab. Nor my buffer. It can't keep up. I just bought the schulz compressor 7.5 today and will be picking it up tommorow. If you do some reading on it and also go to the home page it sounds like a real good compressor. Check out the web site schulz compressors. Hope this helps. Randy

vige 03-22-2012 09:25 PM

Oh hey! Randy...you actually bought one and are going to use it in the days to come? Awesome. This is exactly what I was hoping for...better really; a first hand account from someone who actually works with it for the same type of application. Please post us some of your impressions when you first get the compressor, and after you have had a chance to work with it.
I have a hunch that this compressor is really good deal for the money--obviously so do you.
Geert

Old Fool 03-23-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loctite
The schulz compressor is made just north of atlanta ga. They have been thier for a lot of years building these. The amp draw on the 7.5 is 33 amps. Its 30 cfm and 80 gall tank. I have a 5 horse 60 gallon 13cfm and it will not run my blast cab. Nor my buffer. It can't keep up. I just bought the schulz compressor 7.5 today and will be picking it up tommorow. If you do some reading on it and also go to the home page it sounds like a real good compressor. Check out the web site schulz compressors. Hope this helps. Randy

Interesting you have documentation that says 33 amps.

The Schulz information I found on the Schulz website says 230v 5.6kw.

Divide kw by volts to get amps.

Maybe the info I saw is a typo, 7.6kw would be 33 amps.

Either way 33 amps will do a lot of work for you.

Run wiring large enough to operate it will be a few more dollars!

The NEC (code) requires that the table 430.238 be used to determine the wire and breaker sizes.
For a 7.5 hp 1 ph 230 volt motor 40 amps is listed in the table.
A load factor is then applied to the 40 amps. 40 X 1.25 = 50 amps. Per table 310.16 - #6 wire is required.
A minimum (nominal) breaker is also 50 amps but can be increased to a maximum size of 100 amps.
For the purposes of the compressor a 60 amp breaker should be used.

source: post #5 http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-...ze-211285.html

vige 03-23-2012 10:50 AM

This from the site describing the Schulz in question:

"NEW 7.5HP 80 GAL VERTICAL
POWDER COATED - TWO STAGE AIR COMPRESSOR
1 YEAR WARRANTY ON THE CAST IRON PUMP - 30 CFM DISPLACEMENT
32 AMP DRAW 230 VOLTS SINGLE PHASE ELECTRICAL MOTOR
INCLUDES INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICAL MAGNETIC STARTER BOX ($400 VALUE)

This could be a good deal then for 1400-ish?

Old Red, can I get away with a 40 amp breaker? Running out of panel--I set in a second panel rated 100 amp, but already have 2 30 breakers running. One 30 amp for 5000 watt garage heater, one 30 amp for AC.

Thanks,
geert

loctite 03-23-2012 01:18 PM

air compressor

I just got back with the compressor and it looks to be everything I wanted. It looks to be heavy duty. It sez in the book that came with it 32amp draw. Only time will tell if it is any good. I will keep you posted.

loctite 03-23-2012 01:21 PM

air compressor

OLD FOOL!! So you are saying I need to have a 60 amp breaker and #6 wiring? I will have to check to see what my old compressor has. but i know it has a 30 amp breaker that I will have to change out. My compressor is right next to my breaker box so i will only need a few feet of wiring. Thanks for the help.