Hot Rod Forum banner

Scored a Mill

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 ·
I have wanted a mill or mill drill for the longest time and finally scored one at a swap meet. Now to figure out how to use it?

Sam

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Now you will learn that you will spend almost has much on tooling (collets,vise,hold down kits,cutters, and etc) has you did for the machine. Looks like an early Jet mill/drill. There not bad for there size. Good to learn on. They do lack the rigidness of a full size milling machine.

#5 ·
Whatever it lacks it is way better than anything I have now. Yes about one or two items will be more than I paid for it in the first place. If it works like a router for metal then I think with a good book and a couple of ideas I can make what I need to make. It will probably be used as a drill press more than anything else.

Sam

#6 ·
That is very close to my first Jet mill. Mine has a larger column and table but same head.. I've used it as a cylinder head guide and seat machine. I have used it for countless small projects over the years.. Last month I made a tool for the shop with it.. Kwik-Way wanted $4500.00 for the part. I had a few hours and thirty dollars in parts..

Keep the ways tight with the big slot screw heads on the sides of the table. The small column means small end mill cuts to avoid vibration. Get a good drill press chuck. A decent clamp set. A couple of end mill collets 3/8 and 1/2" will cover most of the work. A cheap tilt vise. Maybe a 2" indexible face mill cutter..

Eventually, I added a Palmgren rotary index table, a cheap collet index fixture. A magnetic table..
I ordered my machine with Morse 3 drawbar because this was GM country at the time.. The vast majority of these machines were R-8 taper. Ebay has tooling cheap if you hunt around..:thumbup:

#7 ·
Thanks Bob,
That is the kind of information that I need. If I can do a valve job with it would be a good plus and make a few of the necessary parts that are unobtanium then it will pay for itself. This one is an ENCO but looks like many of the import deals I have seen.

thanks
Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.