Scotch Brite Questions!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Scotch Brite Questions!!

Is scotch brite good enough to use on well cured urethane primer sealer before painting or should I stick to sand paper? Is there an advantage or disadvantage? The panels are smooth and I just want to scuff them up before paint. What should I use the red,green,gray or white? I have some green and was wondering if its the same stuff thats sold at ''home cheapo'' stores? I have to mail order in the other colors and before I do, I'd like to know somthing about them. Could somone walk me through the proper use of each color Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Maybe this Maybe this will help..some guys like those because they seem to last a long time..they are not scotchbrite pads tho..

Sam
Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 AM

Last photo:

If you're shooting a singlestage urethane or a solid color the Maroon/red pads will work. If the color is a basecoat metalic then I'd definately use the grey. 3M still has the best scuff pads IMO but the other brands will work.
Some of the green pads are almost non abrasive and designed for cleaning dishes, and some other green pads are too aggressive. Maroon/red and grey are what should be used for automotive work.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Scotch brite question!!

Thanks guys ! I was using the green that I have and they didn't seem like they did any thing but polish the prime. Is the white good for anything /or a waste of cabinet space? Pete
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

3M white pads are described as a cleansing pad and they actually have a detergent in them. They work will for cleaning the bugs off of your chrome bumper but I haven't found much use for them in a bodyshop.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

I have used white as the last pass on a sailboat racing bottom, or to clean it... I don't know what grit it corresponds to exactly, but it doesn't leave enough tooth to paint over....
Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I use a white one to knock nibs off basecoat before clearing.
even with white, you have to be gentle.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 AM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:

This PDF file from 3m might answer some questions.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--
Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM

Scotch Brite Questions

Thanks again guys for the input,but now I'am confused! That 3m site from Scrimshaw is good but it shows two maroon/red pads and grays. I'am going to order some of each and try them out for myself. I was looking for something to take the place of 400 to 1000 paper for stuff like door jams and windo channel. Like I said I have green which is "packaged'' under the 3m label, but all it does to urethane primer is to shine it up!
Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
From what I remember, the white pads have zero abrasive. At least with S-W they are used with a scuff gel that has the abrasive so the pad doesn't need it. The gray is fine, you will find it "grit" somewhere, I think it's 800ish. I use it all the time prior to paint, along with a scuffing gel for blends. But also for scuffing primer where "surfacing" isn't an issue. Or for scuffing down previously sanded primer that has been sitting a while. I am from the old school when urethane primers first came around and you were told that they are "self healing" with a recoat window after sanding! S-W Tintprime had only something like a two or three hour window! The reds are much coarser and should be used for when you are going to apply primer over it.

Brian
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Brian, I agree with the 3M grey being anout equal to P800 grit and I've always thought the 3M red equal to P400.

When these first came out there was only red then grey then white. The red pads are actually more of a maroon color but everyone in this area refers to them as red.
3M's pads come in a roll or in a box and both cut about the same. Some of the other brands, Mirka, Norton, Carborundum as examples cut a little less or more aggressive but are fairly close.
For primer work the red works just fine. And if you want to be safe on your pre-paint work the grey pads are your best bet.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 PM

Scotch Brite Questions!!

Brian,Thanks this is my first project with urethane and was under the impression that the recoat windo was longer for prime.I used nason 2k-421 primer sufacer and it turned out great,only in need of a good scuff before paint,or so I thought before reading your reply. I shot the prime on back in september and then ran out of painting weather so its well cured, Maby to cured? Anyway its alot harder than laquer primer-surfacer. Do you thinkthat the gray will give enough bite for a single stage or bb/cc urethane? Thanks Pete
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
I have to tell you Jimmy, I would sand it with 400-500 prior to painting it. Don't you need to "surface" it a little? Just sand it, there are no magic bullets to get you out of work. If it absolutely doesn't need sanding like a frame or door jambs or something like that, sure just scuffing the hell out of it with a gray scuff pad is ok. But honestly, I am thinking you should sand it some and then gray scuff pad it as well to get every nook and cranny.

Brian
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 PM

Scotch Brite Questions!!

Brian, Thats what I thought you would say, and I know your right! It just makes me feel better to hear you say it.And now I don't feel like chump for sanding my running boards in 400 before I shot them this past weekend.My buddy thinks I'am crazy and maby I'am, but I like to sand anyway its always worked for me.I can tell you and Bob one thing for sure that the green 3m scotch brite is not magical in anyway on urethane prime IMO. I'll try the maroon/red and grays when I can get some in my hands.Thanks for the replies guys! Pete
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 AM

Last journal entry: Several Car Projects
Last photo:

Scotch-Brites of all kinds

I work on industrial finishing, paint, powder coatings, Clear coating, and repairs. The previous post about Scotch-Brite was right on, the document breaks down the different products. But what I have noticed from my projects and from work, for Automotive Refinishing, 3M came up with a "straight forward" system. The boxes are numbered and you can read what that specific product is intended to be used on. Go to any car paint supply store and read the boxes. They usually have them all three together.

Box 1 - Scotch-Brite Primer Prep Scuff

Box 2 Scotch-Brite Color Blend Scuff

Box 3 - Scotch-Brite Clear Blend Prep

I have used all three and they worked great for me.

DO NOT Use the cheapo pads. It is not aggressive enough and once you use it on your car you don't want to do the dishes with it.

Abrasive (sand paper) is used to level defects in metal, primer, paint, clear and even powder coatings. Pay attention to whether or not the paper is meant to be used wet or dry. If in doubt, read the box. Some papers have a dry lubricant and some don't.

Scotch-Brite is used to scuff (needed if you are beyond the recoat window of your material) and to blend in areas that you really cant get at with an abrasive.

And once that you are done sanding and scotch-briting make sure you clean up with some solvent cleaner prior to spraying your next material. It cleans the surface from any loose material.

Check out this page, a huge wealth of information about car refinishing

If you need more guidance let me know. I know look up info companies websites all the time: 3M, PPG, Dupont, Evercoat, etc.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.