Scrap up again? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Scrap up again?

The scrappers have been going by loaded to the hilt with everything imaginable and they are running ads paying up to $500 for cars and trucks depending on size. Here we go again. More good old iron crushed for a few quick bucks. Guess it makes the stuff we save worth more but it makes it cost more too.

Last edited by Hippie; 01-31-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM

Anyone know if the scrap prices are going up again?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
The scrappers have ben going by loaded to the hilt with everything imaginable and they are running ads paying up to $500 for cars and trucks depending on size. Here we go again. More good old iron crushed for a few quick bucks. Guess it makes the stuff we save worth more but it makes it cost more too.
$175 a ton here where i am for cars and such.

Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 02-01-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: wrong price
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

$160 a ton here for cars.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

IDK what it is here, but still low enough the 'sharks' arn't out... there is 1 town close to me which, is sort of a slum area.. 90% of the scrappers live there, and when the price goes up, there are lines of trucks taking stuff in.. 95% of this stuff is lawnmowers, old farm equipment ( not tractors but, discs and stuff ) and just scrap steel.. late 70's- 90's vehicles occasionally, but the owner of the scrap yard ( not a junkyard, they just crush ), for all that he is in buisnuess, he does save a lot of the old iron.. only 1 of the 3 cars I saw go in had some value actully did get crushed, and it was a '54 Chevy 1.5 ton grain truck w/ a solid 5 window cab. a truck I wanted but I knew the owners b4 the junkmen got it, and you just don't deal with them. they cheat, steal and everything... I wanted to buy it from the junkman but the last I saw the truck, it was on the pile. wasn't flattened then, but the claw ripped the roof off... anyway, the other 2 that I saw go in.. 1st was a solid '50 Olds 4dr, with all good glass ( that ended up in the parking lot ) and some numbscull brought in a '69 Camaro. it was hit ( probably an old total ) but it had good parts on it, they even left the Crager SS wheels on it.. but a week after I saw it, the owner was advertising '69 Camaro parts
Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Oh boy ,Looks like I gotta chain the dog to the air conditioner again,when I'm at WORK....
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Scrap Value Up? Demand Up?

Metal commodity prices are slightly down. It seems to me demand is up. Foreign countries are buying scrap in shipload after shipload. There are new scrap dealers popping up locally. I saw a restorable old Studebaker truck on a trailer mixed with scrap going to the yard just a few days ago, shame. The hopeless drug addicts make their living this way around here. They are stealing the wiring and plumbing out of new construction and unoccupied houses. Recently had a rash of cemetery thefts involving brass grave markers and brass lamps, fence top deco's from the old graveyards. A recent theft at a pipe fabrication yard involved a 18 wheeler load of a special alloy pipe valued at over a million bucks. In the past, when I did a spring cleaning in my shop, I had to pay to dump at the landfill. Last time I cleaned up, I brought the metals to the local scrapyard. They PAID ME over $300 to dump it at their yard and unloaded it for me. Iron/steel are only getting about 2 cents a pound. Aluminum, stainless, certain alloys, copper, brass are fetching good money. Alot of things I would have chunked in the past go in my scrap barrel today. Something to think about when you do your spring cleaning. olnolan
Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This surprises me a little, I was reading in the paper today about the recyclers getting an extension on the clunkers they took in, they had to get an extension to be rid of them all, they yards were to capacity in some areas, there wasn't enough time to pull useable parts, parts were going cheap.

The druggies will be out in force again. It's too bad they can't take some of that energy that they use to steal to actually find work. Sneaking around, stealing heavy metal parts, pulling wire, way too much work for me..lol. I guess they don't punch a time clock though..
Old 02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
I saw a restorable old Studebaker truck on a trailer mixed with scrap going to the yard just a few days ago, shame.
You just ruined my day.......
Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

OK Hippie I'll make your day ....I just went looking for parts today and saw a 65 Marlin Rambler complete right down to the hubcaps on the back of a trailer loaded with junk...I pulled the guy over and rescued it ...not a lick of rust and original motor .I was told it runs too. DONT TELL MY WIFE....On a sadder note my favorite scrap yard no longer allows me to wander around collecting used steel ever since the security guard got shot and killed when thieves stole a 1 ton block of copper ready for shipping.They were even stealing air units from churches around here....
Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

Same Scum lives around here, stealing brass plaques from Veterans & other's graves, A/C units you name it. Stole all the A/C units from the new Animal Control Dept. a while back.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Made Me Sad Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
You just ruined my day.......
Yea Hippie, made me sad too. They had apparently drug it in the trailer and piled a ton of scrap on it and in it. I might have done like DBM and tryed to ask them about it, but I definitely didn't like the way they looked and I probably wouldn't have like the way they smelled either. They didn't have ten teeth between all three of them in the truck cab.olnolan
Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Stole about 25 feet of copper propane line from my church when it was up before.
Shane
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I fool with scrap as a way to make extra money. If I scrap a vehicle I keep the sellable stuff and let the rest go to china. A couple weeks ago we got a 70 f-250. It was a decent old truck but no demand
Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Sounds like it might be time to load the two 351W blocks and the two nice spare 8 inch 'punkins' I have sitting in a corner that no one wants and see if they are worth a trip to the junky. They've been advertised several times and taken to swap meets and all I get is 'do ya have a 9 incher' (yep, but you can't have it!!). Probably have some more 'scrap' iron and steel as well that should go before we move in the fall

Dave W

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.