Scratch built Cab on Ford Ranger frame? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Scratch built Cab on Ford Ranger frame?

I bought a 1994 Ford Ranger 2.3/5spd truck as a donor for the front suspension. Now that I have gotten alot of the front sheetmetal out of the way, I can see that at least the front section of the frame ( suspension and cab ) will fit my cab, or I can make it fit, and simply back half the frame with the rails I built on the jig, just cut in half more or less.. I was thinking that, I could cut the floor right out of the '94 cab, lift the cab off of the cut floor, cut it to fit my cab and set my cab on it. floor and cab mounts somehow are pretty much mint condition. When I cut the core support off, the core support mounts pretty much fell apart, and the bed was half rotten. Frame is perfect tho..

Any insight? I took the week off work and have off till tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

I'm also using the steering column. I have 2 keys, it's solid, locks and the switch is good.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
I bought a 1994 Ford Ranger 2.3/5spd truck as a donor for the front suspension. Now that I have gotten alot of the front sheetmetal out of the way, I can see that at least the front section of the frame ( suspension and cab ) will fit my cab, or I can make it fit, and simply back half the frame with the rails I built on the jig, just cut in half more or less.. I was thinking that, I could cut the floor right out of the '94 cab, lift the cab off of the cut floor, cut it to fit my cab and set my cab on it. floor and cab mounts somehow are pretty much mint condition. When I cut the core support off, the core support mounts pretty much fell apart, and the bed was half rotten. Frame is perfect tho..

Any insight? I took the week off work and have off till tuesday.
if you already have a floor in your new cab, using the ranger floor seems like it would be more work than just making the mounts fit the new one
Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

My cab currently has no floor. I have to make the cab fit the 29" wide frame width no matter what I do, but that part will be simple.. I have enough 18ga to build a floor if I need to. I was also thinking for all that the seats in the Ranger are trashed the tracks and the mount point for the seats are right there, so I can make frames to fit my 'bomber' seats and have them adjustable.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well then, if you dont have a floor, i would have a look at using the ranger floor
Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

I only gave $300 for the truck, so any parts I can use from it will put me that much farther ahead. If I didn't want to run a 30" tire in the rear and still have it low, I would use the frame as is, but I don't want to sacrafice the stance, the code 86 7.5" wont hold a 460 and my friend needs the leafs, so if I use the Ranger frame, it's gonna need to be back halved
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

Sure is pretty ugly in the back.. but I measured things up before I bothered to take the cab off.. The orig cab was about 65" from the front cab mount to the rear, and the rear cab mount was placed right on that rear frame 'swoop'.. My cab is 48" long, so I can cut the frame in the lower flat section, and use the rear parts of the rails I built for a back half. This is giving me a mounting place that can accept a 460, transmission crossmember that can be mod'd to work for the C6, and a front suspension that has readily and cheeply available parts for $300 + whatever I get back on scrap and I have a 2.3/ M5OD that is seemingly good altho I can't make it run without a new harness, I can probably make money on this deal selling what I don't need and scrapping what is worthless... I think it'll look and work ok when I'm done. I just want a safe reliable hotrod cheaply.. I know most probably frown upon the mini truck frame on an early car body, but what most don't know is, when I sized the body up, I took measurements on a 1991 Toyota pickup and a 1998 Ford Ranger straight cab pickup, so proportionally, this cab is about right for the Ranger front frame section, even tho it's taken me 3 years to come to this conclusion and it was never intended to be that way

Last edited by matt167; 05-26-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.