scratching in 79 malibu drum rear brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM
1971 Buick Skylark 350-4

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

scratching in 79 malibu front brakes

so i changed the break pads thinking it was gonna fix the noise of the passenger rear brakes, and it did but only one of the 2 noises. the one that fixed was the normal wearing out type of noise that the brakes make when its about that time again...but there is this scratching sound that the passenger rear brake continues to make. i noticed it made it before the new brake pads and also after the new installation. its as if it something is severely scratching when i slightly press the brakes, as if someone was scratching a chalk board. weird thing about it is that it makes the sound when i accelerate aswell, but not as severe. ANY suggestions/ideas? thanks....

Last edited by wiser626; 06-23-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Did you turn the drums when you replaced the brake shoes? If not, you should have. If they're originals, they're probably too worn to be turned, and you'll need new ones. They're cheap, at least.

Check the emergency brake linkage and adjustment. Also be sure the proper points have a light coating of lube on them, and that nothing is rusty or binding, and that all of the springs are in good shape- not deformed or rusted out.

Also see that the rear axle bearing isn't badly worn- this will allow the axle- thus the drum- to move around. Check to see that the backing plate is tight to the axle housing.\

Check that the brake adjusters are free to function as they should- they are supposed to take up "slack" each time you stop when backing up, in order to self-adjust the rear brakes.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 PM
1971 Buick Skylark 350-4

Last photo:

CORRECTION!....sorry...i finally got someone to drive my car so that i can be outside and hear exactly where the noise was coming from. back brakes seem fine. its the front passenger side brake that makes the scratching noise. I havent changed the calipers to the front in nearly 2 years, are new ones a possibility?is it scratching the disc? any idea on what mite need to checked or replaced?...ps i dont have a jack right now, so i cant take the tire off unfortunately, will do 2morrow tho. thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser626
CORRECTION!....sorry...i finally got someone to drive my car so that i can be outside and hear exactly where the noise was coming from. back brakes seem fine. its the front passenger side brake that makes the scratching noise. I havent changed the calipers to the front in nearly 2 years, are new ones a possibility?is it scratching the disc? any idea on what mite need to checked or replaced?...ps i dont have a jack right now, so i cant take the tire off unfortunately, will do 2morrow tho. thanks
Sounds like you need to change the pads,and hope that you havent scratched the rotor up to bad if so you will need to replace them also. If they cant be turned, JMO. Cole
Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
CORRECTION
I love it.

When you get a jack, remove the tire. Take a look at the caliper- you (hope you) will see a little metal tab that's riveted to the brake pad, pry it back away from the rotor. It's a wear indicator that will squeal louder and louder till you do something about replacing the pads.

The next thing you will hear is either the other side doing the same thing or the same side doing it again- except THIS time, you will be eating up the rotor. That is, if it's not doing that already.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

The wear indicator is letting you know that it is getting time to replace the pads. And you will need to do this before you hear the grinding of the rotor. The next time you hear it it may be to late. Cole
Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
1971 Buick Skylark 350-4

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
The wear indicator is letting you know that it is getting time to replace the pads. And you will need to do this before you hear the grinding of the rotor. The next time you hear it it may be to late. Cole
seems like it's too late. you guys were right. took the tire off and checked it out and the rotor seems to have grooves. i believe that the pads look fine but the rotors sure do have grooves. just yesterdays the noise was only heard when breaking, but now it can be heard without pressing the brakes at all. why would they do that? can they still be turned? thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

It will probably be in your best interest to buy new ones. I know around here its very hard to find someone to turn them times have really changed. But if the groves are very deep buy new ones. Cole
Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Pasadena Tx or the 'other' Pasadena lol
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Just yesterday the noise was only heard when braking, but now it can be heard without pressing the brakes at all. Why would they do that? Can they still be turned?
The caliper piston isn't retracting far enough to keep the pad from touching the rotor. This could be because the caliper is over-extended and has become sticky, or possibly because the rotor is so grooved, the pad(s) will ride on the grooves as the wheel turns (the caliper basically "floats").

The calipers can be measured and compared to the "MIN" figure, usually cast into the rotor itself. The correct mike for measuring the rotor will have a pointed anvil to reach down to the bottom of the grooves. The one shown should have a deeper throat but has the anvil I was referring to.

If the wheel bearings are worn or out of adjustment, the same type of noise can be made. As can any bent or damaged parts like the backing plate, for instance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mike 001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	38926  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:34 PM
1971 Buick Skylark 350-4

Last photo:

thanks guys. i appreciate the knowledge and help. PASADENA, CALI
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I was going to say to drop by the house with it and I would take a look at it but I'm in Texas so I guess not...
Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
1971 Buick Skylark 350-4

Last photo:

thanks a lot anyways!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Check to make sure the backing plate / splash guard is not touching the back of the rotor. This will also make a scrape type noise

Chet

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.