Scuba respirator for isocyanates? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 12:46 PM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

Scuba respirator for isocyanates?

So I'm working out the details of doing my own garage-based paint booth paint job sometime this summer, and I've got a question about respirator systems.

I'm convinced that I need a forced-air system for my lungs while spraying a BC/CC that has isocyanates, but I can't find anything (even on ebay) for less than $350. Being a SCUBA diver, I can go rent a tank and respirator for pretty cheap. Granted, the whole combo is kind of heavy, but I'm a big guy and can handle that.

Anyone ever use / hear of anyone using / have any thoughts on renting / a SCUBA system for doing my paint work? I'm going to be wearing a painter's body suit, and can easily cover the SCUBA system with plastic so it won't get paint on it.

SCUBA respirators don't let in water, so I'm guessing they wouldn't let in the isocyantes, either.

Or, does anyone have a hobbyair type system they want to sell for a good price?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Re: Scuba respirator for isocyanates?

Quote:
Originally posted by McDeuce
So I'm working out the details of doing my own garage-based paint booth paint job sometime this summer, and I've got a question about respirator systems.

I'm convinced that I need a forced-air system for my lungs while spraying a BC/CC that has isocyanates, but I can't find anything (even on ebay) for less than $350. Being a SCUBA diver, I can go rent a tank and respirator for pretty cheap. Granted, the whole combo is kind of heavy, but I'm a big guy and can handle that.

Anyone ever use / hear of anyone using / have any thoughts on renting / a SCUBA system for doing my paint work? I'm going to be wearing a painter's body suit, and can easily cover the SCUBA system with plastic so it won't get paint on it.

SCUBA respirators don't let in water, so I'm guessing they wouldn't let in the isocyantes, either.

Or, does anyone have a hobbyair type system they want to sell for a good price?
the valving system may not work as well in air, just in that the density of water will exert more force back against the "blow out valve", so to speak, where as air may not exert the required force to drive the valve shut (i'm not a scuba diver, but a student of physics so i'm theorizing)

still i think it would be better than using a cartridge half mask...but maybe not as good as the $350 units
Old 01-31-2004, 02:06 PM
something droll and pithy

Well, I'm not a physics student, nor do I know PRECISELY how the SCUBA respirators work, but I know that external pressure does not affect their performance. Otherwise, the deeper you dove, the harder it would be to exhale - and that isn't the case.

Good food for thought, though.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by McDeuce
Well, I'm not a physics student, nor do I know PRECISELY how the SCUBA respirators work, but I know that external pressure does not affect their performance. Otherwise, the deeper you dove, the harder it would be to exhale - and that isn't the case.

Good food for thought, though.
i was aware of that, but i was wondering if it needs some minimal force back before they function 100%. The density of water is 1.0 g/cm^3 and up (as you go deeper) and the masks will be disigned to work at those pressures where as atmospheric pressure is only about 1/800th of that...so i wouldn't say that they were designed to operate that far out of thier pressure range.

simple test would be if you have friends that are smokers, go and sit in a car with them (or small inclosed room) while they puff a couple back, and see if you can smell any smoke, if you can't at all i'd say go for it...
Old 01-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
I'm going to be wearing a painter's body suit, and can easily cover the SCUBA system with plastic so it won't get paint on it.
Just leave off the flippers, snorkel and mask!!!!

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 01-31-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:51 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Belive it or not....

I was at a flea market once and a guy didn't want to carry the double old style scuba tanks he was selling back to his car they were so heavy so he was selling them for $5. I bought them kinda as a joke but later 'mickymoused' a fitting and ran some 50' fishtank line into a regular charcoal type mask. It made positve pressure in there and worked great. Then one day it ran out of air and into the dumpster it went becasue it was dated and could not have been refilled.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.