Scuffed leather - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 06:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Scuffed leather

The seat in the wifes car is scuffed in the side bolster area, you know where she slides in and out. It is leather not vinyl. Is there a dye that will fix that, the leather is not torn just the color scuffed off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Most North American vehicles with leather have leather that comes with a clear Vinyl top coat for durability. If the scuffs are minor you can reapply a clear vinyl layer via step 2 just get a vinyl spray without pigment.

To fix a scuff it really depends on how deep it is.
If the car is still in any type of warrenty the dealer will replace the cover as this is a warrenty failure. it is called top coat failure in the industry, we use a mace test to try to scratch the leather and it is supposed to be 50,000 cycles before Breakin of the top coat. If not you have two options.

1. If it is really deep and doesnt have a detail stitch, french seam or deck seam (top stitching) go to a trim shop and ask for a quote to replace the bolster. If it does have a detail stitch still do it but be aware they would typically want to have you replace the sidefacing too as it is very difficult to hide the holes and extra holes will be unsightly and have the potential to rip in the future. Then go to step 2.

2. If the price at the trim shop freaked you out then consider the following. Go to a Automotive paint supply store and give them you interior color code. Have them mix you a spray bomb of Vinyl paint. Tape off the rest of the leaving the entire bolster exposed. Get some MEK and wipe the entire bolster surface to remove the top coating and any Amour all that you may have used to try to reduce the failure. The paint on the paint in several coats. Focus the first few coats on the crack and then feather the remaining coats to cover the rest of the bolster. This isnt as good of a fix as replacing the panel or the cover but if you have a good shop they can match the color pretty good and real vinyl paint will stand up faily well to extend the life of the cover a bit longer.

Last edited by creativeinteriors; 06-15-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:40 PM

It's a Jaguar with Corenthian (sp?) leather. It's scuffed and the color is off but the leather is not torn. I thought about having the section replaced but wanted to try something else first as it is still in good shape other than color.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:05 PM

Sorry make that Connolly leather, I think that's just a big name for regular old dead *** cow so they can charge you more.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Connely leather is the "high end tannery" in England. Their hides are heavily processed to give a very nice "hand" or softness. But have little top coating protection, if any. Most Newer Jags are full of french seams, back to my original comment over a trim shop repair. The issue then falls to the fact that it is that it is difficult, almost impossible, to match the color and finish on it with a redye.

If you havent done so already look into a repacement cover from a dealer. When you consider that a trim shop will charge you to get a Connely hide, usually their materials are about $20 a square foot retail, I dont know what model you have so there is vinyl potentially there as well and the shipping. Finally the labor. The number regreatably will probably come to around $700 bucks and a cover should be around $400 bucks from a dealer.

If you still feel this is a issue that warrents a change. Once you have checked into the dealer availability of a cover, Cushions are easier to replace than backs and if careful you could probably install yourself. Take the car into a paint place as I suggested before and get them to try to match the color and see if you can touch it up.

Again Connely is very hard to match if they cant then at least you will have a plan b in place.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:05 AM

Seems to be a matter of how much you want to spend. www.leatherique.com has a line of redye stuff and if color match really is of the utmost importance, then you can send them in a sample of what you have for an exact match. Their leather care products are pretty good too. And you can refer to Connolly in the past tense from what I've read...bankrupt.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the info guys still not sure what I am going to end up doing but at least I now have some usefull info.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Connolly gone but not anavailable

Yes I know that Connolly is gone, but we were were talking about a product you already have so I didnt bring that out specifically. But duelly noted. I was just trying to say the potential steps out there. And rest assured there are replacement covers out there as Jag has to support the warrenty for at a minimum of 10 years as mandated by Ford their mother company. I know you are still pondering the next step, but the hides are still vey much around. From what I understand UKhide.co.uk has bought up the remaining hides and they can be purchased until the hide is gone.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.