Sea Foam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 07:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sea Foam

I used some sea foam today, And stalled the egine 3-4 times.. Man that is some touchy stuff! I first tried using the PCValve, and it stalled so I tried the brake booster line, and got quite a bit sucked up, but it stalled a couple of times.. then i dumped some i each Barrel (TBI) and stalled it. and i had enough of it, so i let it sit for 5 minutes.. dumped the 3/4 full seafoam in the fuel tank, which is completely full, started the engine, and there was some blue smoke!! so i rev'd it up quite a bit, roaring blue smoke, after 5-10 minutes it cleared up, then i went for a ride.

Now, a few Friends told me to use this stuff to clean out the carbon in my engine and CAT., But how do i know thats what that stuff did?

Anybody got any info on this seafoam stuff?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 09:11 PM

In my opinion the stuff works

I have used sea foam on a couple of vehicles and the results wer favorable. I never occured any blue smoke. The question in mind is what prompted you to use the sea foam in the first place? I am assuming that this vehicle probably has pretty high miles. I dont know what the vehicle even is. My experience was with an 84 ford van with over 200K miles and the only symptom was it just ran like crap. I dumped some sea foam in on about a 1/4 tank, the whole bottle, and it helped quite a bit. I rebuilt the carb and boom, problem fixed.
I hope I have provided you with some descent feedback.

Tim
Old 04-22-2006, 09:58 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:

Dump the seafoam in the crankcase and i THINK even into the engine's oil. I think you have to be very careful with the mix ratio when dumpping it into the oil. Confirm this first! I dont want you to complain about the KABOOM because of me
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Last photo:

My Kawasaki sat in storage for a few years. It would not start at all when I took it out. I threw a can of Seafoam into the tank and let it sit for a week /the bkike kicked right over. Great stuff!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicamaro
I used some sea foam today, And stalled the egine 3-4 times.. Man that is some touchy stuff! I first tried using the PCValve, and it stalled so I tried the brake booster line, and got quite a bit sucked up, but it stalled a couple of times.. then i dumped some i each Barrel (TBI) and stalled it. and i had enough of it, so i let it sit for 5 minutes.. dumped the 3/4 full seafoam in the fuel tank, which is completely full, started the engine, and there was some blue smoke!! so i rev'd it up quite a bit, roaring blue smoke, after 5-10 minutes it cleared up, then i went for a ride.

Now, a few Friends told me to use this stuff to clean out the carbon in my engine and CAT., But how do i know thats what that stuff did?

Anybody got any info on this seafoam stuff?
CLICK for the Sea Foam FAQ page. It covers everything you've just asked or were concerned about.

Briefly, the smoke is normal. Adding too fast will cause stalling, and in severe enough cases could lead to a bent rod or cracked piston from hydrolocking the engine (liquids aren't compressible, for the most part).

This stuff can be sprayed from a spray bottle (empty 409 cleaner bottle, for instance), right into the TBI w/the engine fully warmed up and running, w/o stalling it. But don't try to suck Sea Foam up a vacuum line like drinking a milkshake through a straw- the Sea Foam has to be poured into the vacuum line slowly enough that the engine "labors", w/o stalling.

After you're done adding it, take the vehicle out on the road and hammer on it (in a secluded, safe area- follow traffic rules and be safe) for a few minutes to get rid of the carbon, etc. that it knocks loose.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 AM

Last photo:

I swear by the stuff. I pour two bottles into my boat tank (90 gal tank) before I lay it up for the summer. Run it for about 10 minutes to get it into the carbs (150 HP outboard), then shut it down...so it sits in the carbs all summer. The engine runs as smooth as velvet when I get back in the winter. I do the same thing with my cars and small engines when I lay them up for the winter...
Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM

I used that where I work till I found real chemicals.

I use it in a pinch for upper intake cleaning. My preference is to slowly draw it into the intake via vac line. stall the motor. scrub the throttle body with a rag or brush.

Fire engine, rev it slowly draw in the rest of the can.

Great for cleaning carbon, intake, and valves; engines smoke like mad and run rough for a little while. Drive about 3-10 miles and you'kll be good to go.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Ditto on the outboard, I have a 24' Bennington tri-toon fishing rig with a 175 Mercury Pro Xs engine. ALL of the fishing and high perf. boat web sites highly recommend Sea Foam along with the Engine mfg's. gas supplement. I use a "cocktail" of the mix in every tank.......good stuff!! Now if your engine is really gunked up and you use the Sea Foam correctly it will look like a battleship laying down a smoke screen sometimes.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Used it when I started a derelict Triumph TR8 that I bought that sat for 8 years (215 aluminum V8). Worked great! Engine ran and even idled at 800 rpm until the dried out carb gaskets started spewing gasoline and i had to shut it down. Then it was time to clean up all the mouse turds that shot out of both tail paipes into my driveway!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM

It seems to work good for me in cleaning injectors.

To help decarbon my motor I like to mist water into the carb and do an internal steam cleaning. You can't just pour water down the carb or it will hydrolock. I had a crude water injection set up for awhile using a very restricted vacuum line. I put a hypodermic needle in the hose to meter the water. It worked great but I ran out of water pretty quick so I took it off so I didn't have a vacuum leak.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.