Seal Coat Color Vs Base Coat Color Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seal Coat Color Vs Base Coat Color Question

I am ready to lay an epoxy primer seal coat on my body panels and was provided with a gallon of DP90LF (Black) from a friend. The base coat color I am using is a medium silver (Toyota Sequoia/Tundra code 1D6). Can I use the black epoxy primer without any adverse effect to the final color or should I use a grey seal coat?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 08:01 AM

use the grey
Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I would use grey if it were mine.. The black will work, but will take much more paint to get full hiding of the base.. Did I say much more with the black?? This is how you may feel as you see your base running out trying to cover that black

I know with SPI you can mix the black and white to get the shade of grey you need.. I would assume the ppg is no different.. I would buy a couple quarts of the white and then mix in a very small amount of the black, until its almost the same shade as the silver you are spraying.. Then mix it per the tech sheet and spray it.. Remember it takes very little of the black to tint the white, that is the reason I told you to get a couple of quarts of the white
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Last photo:

What BondoKing said. My experience with PPG DPLF has not been good, and if it were mine I would not use it. I would go with SPI instead.

Vince
Old 10-04-2007, 08:43 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

What BK said!

I don't buy gray anymore, just black and white.
I always mix to a shade to compliment the color,
that works real good.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:48 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

Not familar with SPI. Can you provide more information on these products?

Edit: I found SPI but they do not have a retail location in the Houston area.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of Rubber-seal paints? They do have a local supplier and their epoxy kit is very cost competitive.
http://www.rubber-seal.com/

Last edited by Houston54; 10-04-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last photo:

SPI is mostly shipped.
Their shipping fees are real reasonable.
Here's a good supplier, they're very helpful
and nice to deal with.

http://www.bakerpbe.com/catalog.php

Look under "Southern Polyurethanes"
Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

I have used some rubber-seal products. I didn't have any problems with it, other than there clear seemed to dry to touch quickly, but then take a while to cure (get good and solid). As for SPI epoxy over DPLF, I think you will be just fine getting some white DPLF (I think it's DP48) to mix with the black (DP90) you have. It seems around here, we have some folks that really push the SPI. That doesn't necessarily make it better than some other products. Sorry, 302, just trying to keep a balance. As we say around here it's just an opinion, we all have our own.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

We all have our opinions, but I bet Colormecrazy hasn't tried the SPI epoxy. So what's the opinion worth? Give it a try, it's a different animal and IMO a much better product than DPLF. I've used both. Unbalanced Bob
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Last photo:

Rubber Seal is very good product. I would not use the PPG DPLF at all, it is not very durable and will wipe right off with lacquer thinner even after it is cured. Also brake fluid eats right through it. Southern Polyurethanes epoxy primer is far superior to DPLF in every respect, price, durability, and resistance to chemicals. You cannot wipe it off after it has reached full cure like you can with DPLF. The original PPG epoxy primer was a very good product until they neutered it which resulted in DPL(lead)F(free).

Vince
Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

OK Bob, I have since we last butted heads, used some SPI.

I frankly did not think there was much difference!
So, for the price I must say I am not opposed to using SPI. But, in this particular thread this gentleman has stated he already has DPLF. I say go with it.
Not to mention I think you guys over push SPI on this site. To my knowledge SPI is not a sponsor, but a few of you guys treat it like this is a big advertisement. Just about every time any product comes up some of you guys push "SPI"! Once again Just trying to keep a balance!

As I always say it's just my opinion!
You've been around here long enough to know the value of my opinion! So, shame on you for that comment!

And as for my knowledge, you know I know my stuff!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

Wes, no disrespect intended but DPLF and SPI are so far apart in similarity that I have to wonder how you used the products?
Yes, SPI does not sponsor this site and has no advertisements here. What it does have is high quality products that promote themselves through the people that enjoy using them.
Wes, I know you know a whole heck of a lot about paint but I have to question your opinion on the similarity between these two products.
I totally agree with ya on your Rubberseal Clear cure time experience. Check out what that clear looks like 6 years later, I've seen some examples and it ain't pretty.
I wasn't the first to bring up SPI in this thread, but I was the first to defend it's performance when I thought it was being put down. Fact is, yes there are a few people around here that do seem to push SPI. Why? because we are here to help each other out, to do things right, and also purchase the right parts, and the good materials- When a procedure or product shines above the rest you can bet it gets highly recommended as it should. Ever notice the threads praising lacquer primer, lacquer paint, red putty and other miserable products and how they get stomped so the uninformed doesn't waste their hard earned cash and labor? I think some feel the same way about DPLF.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colormecrazy
But, in this particular thread this gentleman has stated he already has DPLF. I say go with it. :
I think that's good advice, it may or may not be the best product
in terms of quality but I bet it'll do just fine and he'll have no problems
with it. I've never used it so I don't know, I have used the SPI and
think it's really good, but if I had the other, I'd use it.

I'm glad you guys are keeping this civil,
We all use different products and have our preferences for different
reasons. Mosy ALL products will perform satisfactorilly.
Just some are better than others.
It's hard to recommend a product you really believe in without sounding
like you're advertiseing for them. It's a fine line, at least these knowledgeable
guys are keeping it professional and civil. Thanks for that.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Last photo:

It is indeed a rare occurrence when you find a product that is not only cheaper, but performs a whole lot better than the higher priced spread. Last time I bought DPLF I think a gallon was about $200 plus a quart of catalyst for about $85. That gave you a gallon and a quart of activated sprayable epoxy. SPI is a 1 to 1 mix, you get one gallon of part A and one gallon of part B for two sprayable gallons for over half the cost of DPLF. That and it's performance is why we promote it. On my 34 I spent about $3000+ at my local PPG jobber. If SPI had the color I needed I have no doubt I would have used them.

Vince
Old 10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Thanks for the compliment JC!

There is no reason not to be civil. We are in a virtual chat-room. I only hang here to learn and share. As a matter of fact, The gentlemen promoting SPI in this thread are the very same guys that caused me to investigate. So, I tried the SPI epoxy on an S10 pickup(kind of a guinea pig) as a learning experience. I sprayed a 57 chevy the day after with DPLF. As I stated I did not see any huge difference between the two. They both sprayed well. They both turned out to have great paint jobs over them. Sorry, I used PPG paint (DBC)and clear (2042) on both. My boss at the time was calling the shots, and he is a big PPG fan. So, I did not convince him to change what was working in the way of paint.

I don't think I ever "put down" SPI in this thread. But, I did notice a few slaps at PPG. So, in the line of "balance" and "defence" for this forum. I will state a fact from my head. There ain't nothin wrong with puttin you some PPG on your ride! Nutin at all! In fact, If you use them right, and take the appropriate amount of time, and finish them out right, most modern products will satisfy even the most discriminate judges. I have my preferences, and it's a fact that PPG is not my favorite. But, If I can figure out how to down-size some pics, I'll post a few pics of show winners that I sprayed with PPG from the metal up.

Therefore, and furthermore, I stand by my advise from the beginning! Go with the PPG, it will be just great!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.