Sealer,Epoxy,or more G2 ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sealer,Epoxy,or more G2 ??

Someday, I'll listen to that little voice in the back of my head.

I'm doing a glass jr. dragster body and shooting over the existing bc/cc job.
I shot FeatherFill G2 and blocked out. Had a few small cut thru's and decided to chance it. After shooting the first coat of black I knew I was in trouble.
Dieback. And, A few missed sand scratches.
Would I be better off spotting the areas with sealer,Spot epoxy,or spot some 2G??

Only thing I have is the epoxy,Dupont Full-Poxy, I can pick up whatever is needed and I really don't want to wait on the epoxy for a day cause I'm not taking any more chances.

Would some reduced G2 do the trick? I've never used it this way,as a base coat spot so I'm not sure.

I have to resand the base anyway so sealing and paint is not a priority.

Sad thing is, I KNOW better, but we all have our head up our tail's occasionally. That,and,I should have known better than shoot paint on the 13th.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Mike, I wouldn't spot in the G2, it may work-never tried it, but I've got a feeling it won't work. You might be better off to apply another coat of base, let it set overnight, lightly sand it and shoot one more coat on. I'm picturing the G2 is probably sucking up that basecoat? but i may be wrong. Or you could sand the base off and apply some epoxy and let it set for awhile but that's going to cause a delay in plan. I've shot base over G2 before without any problems but I usually do a 2k urethane or an epoxy primer over the G2 and sand one more time.

After reading your post again it sounds like the only areas you're having trouble with are the cut throughs, sand the basecoat back in these areas and apply a 2k sealer or urethane primer reduced as a sealer, should do the trick I bet.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

It's just the cut's Bob. No lifting or such,just an obvious defect in these areas.
I ran out of everything primer in the shop so I have to get some anyway.
I thought about just rebasing but I'm afraid the solvents will just repete the process. Shooting Nason as well so SEVERAL coats will be needed for it to look black anyway.
You think 2K will seal these up OK?
I may try some base first just to SEE tommorow but I'll have something else just in case.
I alway's am a stickler about cut's and getting my primer right before paint so I've never had to deal with this type problem but I really didn't think it would be this bad.
Lesson Learned.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, you might be able to sand it some and rebase. Kind of like dealing with a lifting problem, if you can eventually get the base on and it looks good and has flashed long enough to apply clear it'll be ok. Were the cut throughs showing gel coat or the old finish?- just curious what is sucking up the solvents so fast. Another thing that happens to me once in a while is with black I tend to put it on a lot wetter than with other colors for some reason, this makes for more solvents laying there that need to come up and out or they go in if the substrate wants to soak it up. I bet it'll be fine the next time around. Bob
Old 12-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

A couple are thru the existing clear into the old paint and it's sucking the new base right in and leaving it nice and grainy.I'm really thinking to spot some primer as a few of these areas will have a kandy job over them and IF they come back after that,well, I don't even want to go there.
Some day's our stupidity is only surpassed by our complete lack of intelligence.

Thanks for the advice. I have a bad habit of doubting myself even though I know what to do. Just keep ignoring that voice for some reason.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Guess I must be snake bit as this thing refuses to take paint right.

I scuffed the base and shot Nason activated sealer over the entire body.
This flashed for 1 1/2 hr. at 70-75* and was DRY to the touch.
Tacked off and shot the first coat of base.

Spot WRINKLES!!!

I guess, I laid the sealer a little to heavy,as I would have thought that long a flash "should" have been fine and with just one med coat. It will cure out and some more sanding and I should finally have a base coat on this problem child.
Any thoughts as to why this happened?

This one is obviously going to be a fight to the finish but I don't give up easily so IT best be up for the battle cause I will beat it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.