Sealing Primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 09:19 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sealing Primer

Hey guys I have a primer question. Due to financial issues I won't be able to paint my truck until next spring or so, but I'd like to get it primered before the snow flies. The thing is, it's my daily transportation and will have to be driven in the snow, now if I primer it and seal it, how long will the sealant last? Secondly what kind of sealant is the best to get and is it available in rattle can or some method that doesn't require a spray gun (I'm hoping to get some painting stuff soon). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You are in a tough position................Your best bet would be to use an epoxy primer over the bare metal. That will seal it and you could use regualr building primer over that. Trouble is, epoxy primer is 2 stage and needs to be applied with a spray gun. Don't thoink it comes in rattle cans.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply poncho. I may just save a paycheck or 2 and see about picking up a spray gun and a compressor It sucks being young and having no money lol
Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 AM

A local rental place by me rents compressors and paint guns (conventional guns). You could also buy a cheaper gun at say Harbor Freight and rent a compressor. I am thinking if you want to go cheap with a conventional gun, I think they sell one for about $30 that would shoot primer. I use a cheapie for my primer work, and it sprays epoxy well enough. Around here, I can rent a 5 horse compressor for about $25.00 a day if I remember right. Southern Polyurethanes has a very good epoxy primer for a good price. In fact, I think it is on sale at Direct Access. Not the greatest of spray equipment, but I have gone this way in the past and it has been more than adequate. It is the cheapest way I know to go. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

yes, your probably better off renting a compressor. most spray guns especially hvlp's use alot of air and if your tight on $$$$ then your not going to be able to afford a compressor big enough to run the gun.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm gonna give the rental place a call and see what they want to rent a compressor. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:08 AM

This is a trick that seemed to work for me.

Back in the old days, before I knew any better, I worked on my pickup a section at a time. I continued to use the vehicle as a daily driver, driving it through the rain and snow. Stripping some of the work to bare metal, I would do my filler work, and then cover everything up with lacquer primer from a rattle can. Noone bothered to tell me that rattle can primer isn't waterproof.

As the months wore on, I began to notice rust stains appearing in the primer. I couldn't fathom what was going on. It couldn't be rusting because I had covered everything with primer. Lucky someone filled me in on the rattle can primer issue.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I came up with a solution that seemed to work. I did my bodywork, covered it with rattle can primer but added an additional covering of Zero Rust paint. The ZR sealed everything up and I had no more rusting issues. When I had the truck painted, the painter merely scuffed my work, shot a coat of epoxy primer, and then the single-stage urethane.

That was a long time ago. I'm still driving the pickup and it is still rust free. Although ZR isn't really designed for bodywork, it seemed to work for me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.