Seals - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 08:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seals

What is the deal on the new 400 cranks wanting two piece seals vs single seal? I want to build a new 383 and plan to purchase one of the fancy new 400 cranks. But it says that my block has to use two piece rear seals. Any of you gurus? My understanding is that the old blocks used the single piece and the new blocks use the two piece. But that would make it a block issue rather than a crank issue. HELP..

Thanks

hr41pearl

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

thom, you have it backwards, old SBC/BBC use a 2 piece rear seal, newer models use a one piece seal. You can use a seal adapter to convert a late model block to an early model block..I know because we make the adapters.

Chris
Old 05-11-2004, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Seals

Thanks Chris. Yes, I had it backwards. But why do the crank people want you to run an old block for this project? IE two piece seals? The seal galley is the same size, no?

You say that you make the adapters? By you, you mean the company you own/work for? Who do you distribute through? My block is a 84 truck 350/4 bolt. I think. I should write the cast down. What about the front seal? Will I have any problems there?

Thanks for the help.

hr41pearl
Old 05-11-2004, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Re: Seals

Quote:
Originally posted by Thom Laybourne
Thanks Chris. Yes, I had it backwards. But why do the crank people want you to run an old block for this project?

IE two piece seals?
The original or first stroker cranks were based on the old 2 piece design. Since the larger journal stuff has been around longer. . .IE more blocks to fit. . .the 2 piece was the best choice. The new 1 piece blocks are not as many but with the shortage of cores anymore, they have gotten more popular. My boss, Mr. Stef, designed the adapter to convert a 1 piece seal block to a 2 piece. Since then, crank mfgs. have made the 1 piece seal cranks to fit the late model blocks

The seal galley is the same size, no? The OD is different, but yes the ID is the same.

You say that you make the adapters? By you, you mean the company you own/work for?

Correct, Stef's Performance

Who do you distribute through?

Several WD's, Summit/Jegs, and other wholesalers. On the board it would be Tom's Perf., Rogers Perf. and K-Star.

My block is a 84 truck 350/4 bolt. I think. I should write the cast down. What about the front seal? Will I have any problems there?

No front seal is the same size.

Thanks for the help.

hr41pearl
Old 05-11-2004, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Double checked

Thanks again for the assistance. I have the motor in the bed of the truck and the numbers are 14010207. That should make it a 1985 Truck motor with a two piece seal. I was thinking that the change came in late 70's. The net says it was 86.

Any opinions on 400 cranks? Cost / ability? Eagle 4340 / Scatt?

Hope to strip this thing tonight and have it at the machinist by late Wednesday.

hr41pearl
Old 05-11-2004, 09:52 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

A good crank for the budget minded would be the Eagle cast steel, internally balanced, stroker crank. It is the 400 (3.750") stroke with the 350 main size and it's for the 2 piece rear main seal block. I sell it for around 240 bucks. I think the Eagle cranks are better cranks than the Scat or Ohio brands.

Eagle also has a 4130 forged crank, internally balanced for the same engine that I sell for 535 bucks and the 4340 internally balanced for 670 bucks. Both of these are cross-drilled and have .125" rod and main journal radii.

tom
Old 05-11-2004, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Many Thanks

Many thanks to both of you.
Tom, I will give my local MS guy first crack at the parts. But your price is very good. Do you sell direct?
Hope to have this thing back by Tuesday next and get started with assembly.

hr41pearl
Old 05-11-2004, 12:46 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

By all means give your MS guy the first chance. If you have any questions or problems, PM me and I will give you more details.

tom

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.