Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Searching for a source for a clutch pulley (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/searching-source-clutch-pulley-230528.html)

Chevelle406 03-10-2013 03:09 PM

Searching for a source for a clutch pulley

Just acquired a Brother LS2-B837 sewing machine in beautiful shape. Sews nice but for a rookie a bit on the fast side, especially when it starts.

I know, learn to use the machine the way it was designed. But, I think that for a start, it would be a lot easier to get the hang of it if I can slow it down.

The fun part of that is trying to find a source for the pulley on the clutch output shaft. Looking for a pulley around 2" or 50mm that will fit a 19mm shaft.

Does anyone know a good source preferably in Canada, if not then in the US. The only source that I have found so far is for a aluminum pulley in England.

One of the last repair shops for industrial sewing machines just closed in Winnipeg, so still trying to source a alternative.

I am sure that I will have a million more questions as this project continues.

Thanks for the help.

Chevelle406 03-11-2013 12:56 PM

Thanks guys.

Dug a pulley out of the scrap drawer and reamed it out to 19mm for the clutch shaft, broached a keyway into it and re-tapped for a new set screw to replace the stripped one. Found a 41" belt in the surplus pile so I am back in operation at a more relaxed pace.

Chevelle406 :thumbup:

DanTwoLakes 03-11-2013 01:59 PM

I was going to say that you could find a 2" aluminum pulley at any farm supply store. How close is 19MM to 3/4"? It should be awfully close. BTW, I don't have any problem with anybody slowing the machine down when they first start out, but at some point, become more proficient with the foot pedal.

OneMoreTime 03-11-2013 02:12 PM

McMaster Carr is a good resource for that sort of thing..they stock all kinds of parts and will ship just one if that is all you need..

Sam

Chevelle406 03-11-2013 04:28 PM

Dan

Took a old 3/4" drill bit and shaved the sides of the flutes down gently with a fine sanding disk, couple of passed at a time on each side till I got the correct width. Used a 5/8 bore pulley as a donor. Quicker than a drive into town to buy a pulley and worked great. :thumbup:

As for slowing the machine down, old story. When I was a kid, went with my father to help him do a esitmate for a sprinkler system in a sewing factory making jeans, etc. They had a bank of machines running at a slower speed just for the new employees, till they got the hang of using the machines. The regular machines would do a side seam in a couple of seconds. :eek:

Chevelle406