Searching for a source for a clutch pulley - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
chevelle406.wordpress.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Searching for a source for a clutch pulley

Just acquired a Brother LS2-B837 sewing machine in beautiful shape. Sews nice but for a rookie a bit on the fast side, especially when it starts.

I know, learn to use the machine the way it was designed. But, I think that for a start, it would be a lot easier to get the hang of it if I can slow it down.

The fun part of that is trying to find a source for the pulley on the clutch output shaft. Looking for a pulley around 2" or 50mm that will fit a 19mm shaft.

Does anyone know a good source preferably in Canada, if not then in the US. The only source that I have found so far is for a aluminum pulley in England.

One of the last repair shops for industrial sewing machines just closed in Winnipeg, so still trying to source a alternative.

I am sure that I will have a million more questions as this project continues.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys.

Dug a pulley out of the scrap drawer and reamed it out to 19mm for the clutch shaft, broached a keyway into it and re-tapped for a new set screw to replace the stripped one. Found a 41" belt in the surplus pile so I am back in operation at a more relaxed pace.

Chevelle406
Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I was going to say that you could find a 2" aluminum pulley at any farm supply store. How close is 19MM to 3/4"? It should be awfully close. BTW, I don't have any problem with anybody slowing the machine down when they first start out, but at some point, become more proficient with the foot pedal.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

McMaster Carr is a good resource for that sort of thing..they stock all kinds of parts and will ship just one if that is all you need..

Sam
Old 03-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Dan

Took a old 3/4" drill bit and shaved the sides of the flutes down gently with a fine sanding disk, couple of passed at a time on each side till I got the correct width. Used a 5/8 bore pulley as a donor. Quicker than a drive into town to buy a pulley and worked great.

As for slowing the machine down, old story. When I was a kid, went with my father to help him do a esitmate for a sprinkler system in a sewing factory making jeans, etc. They had a bank of machines running at a slower speed just for the new employees, till they got the hang of using the machines. The regular machines would do a side seam in a couple of seconds.

Chevelle406

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.