Seat belt mounting points in glass car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Seat belt mounting points in glass car

I would like to ask what is the perferred method to anchor seat belts in a glass 33 body. The floor is probably 1/4 to 3/8 thick with some mat glassed in. Is it safe to just use a large washer under the floor, or do I need to weld in a piece of steel tubing across the frame under the floor to tie into? Thanks for any advice provided.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Hi: I'm, going to move your thread to General Rodding Tech. You'll get better answers there.

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Last photo:

I had the same concerns about my glass 34. To answer your question, no it is not good enough to mount the seat belts through the glass floor even with larger washers. What I did was weld some 1/4" thick tabs onto the inner frame rails for the front mounts, then for the back mounts I welded a 1-1/2" piece of square tube between the frame rails.

Vince
Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 PM

thanks

Thanks for the advise, I will install some tubing to anchor thru. rod
Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just remeber if you take a hard hit you can pull 10g's pretty easy and then momentarily you will weigh 10 times your body weight..The seat belts and other safety items need to withstand that sort of force..

Sam
Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:

California Law says that seat belt points have to be capable of withstanding 1000lbs between them at a 45 degree angle. Most guidelines are higher, I think Europe says 5000lbs. That means you should be able to lift your car on the mounts! Sounds a little excessive.

Does anyone anyone know whether it is legal to place the mounts in fiberglass?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimshaw
. Does anyone anyone know whether it is legal to place the mounts in fiberglass?
Legal is what you feel you can get away with. I would not want to rely on seat belts anchored in fiberglass.

Vince
Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree. I wouldn't want to trust my lift to seat belts anchored in fiberglass either.

I'm building a glass Deuce and actually welded in 1/8" plate (with gussets) today for seat belt anchors. They are shown in the red circles in the pic below.

Haven't had a chance yet to dress the welds.... I'll get to that tomorrow.

Last edited by Centerline; 12-16-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 AM

Last photo:

Very nice looking job, I think those will be strong enough to lift the whole car!

While it might be easier to weld on the chassis on the floor what about the shoulder strap?

Not quite sure what you mean "whatever I can get away with". Aren't the seat belt mounts looked at when the vehicle is inspected?

As for not trusting fiberglass as a mounting point we regularly bed chainplates that would take a pull of 10 tons or more so I wouldn't have a problem as long as I was the one doing the work .
Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean "whatever I can get away with". Aren't the seat belt mounts looked at when the vehicle is inspected?.
That depends on how your car is registered, it may or may not require the use of seatbelts. My 34 does not have shoulder straps, only lap belts.

Quote:
As for not trusting fiberglass as a mounting point we regularly bed chainplates that would take a pull of 10 tons or more so I wouldn't have a problem as long as I was the one doing the work .
Sure you probably could apply enough fiberglass to provide a decent (mayby) attachment point for seat belts, but who would want that big hump on the floorboard

Vince
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I got hit head on in about 1961 at about 30 mph in my 54 Olds. I had the seat belt (they were not cool back then) mounted to a 3 x 24" x 1/4 plate under the floor. I weighed about 210 back then. The impact buckled the floor about 9 inches. It was enough that I still hit the steering wheel hard enough to bend it over at the top. Had it not been for the seat belt I probably would have been seriously injured.

I see 3 point seat belts mounted to the wood reinforced B posts and fiberglass floors all the time in the "glass" streetrod. There is less wood there than in a baseball bat. Often times there is just a through bolt maybe 3/8 through the wood. Can you imagine what would happen if you drilled a 3/8 hole through the trademark on a baseball bat???

'Centerline' has some nice mounts. I'm using roll bar mounts on my car with 4 point belts.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
...Aren't the seat belt mounts looked at when the vehicle is inspected?
Just to follow up a bit on what Vince said, a lot depends on the state you are in and the way your car is titled as to what safety standards you must comply with. In Wisconsin, for example, my Roadster is titled as a 1931 so it must meet the safety standards which were in force in the original year of manufacture...1931. So under a safety inspection I'm not even required to have belts, turn signals, two brake lights, backup lights, parking lights, safety glass, etc.

So in the end, I think we need to build using the highest standards we can...rather than just meeting the state's safety requirements, whatever they may be.

Just one small side note on anchor points for 3-point belts. I believe those would require a seat manufactured for a frame mount OR the shoulder strap needs to be attached to an anchor point at shoulder height of slightly higher. One alternative in a glass car or open top car would be a roll bar. That's one of the main reasons I put a roll bar in my roadster. It also means details like the seat belts need to be considered rather early on in a build so that appropriate mounting points can be welded in early.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Well, being a tech inspector, I'll give you the blurb from the Rulebook....
"In all cars with fiberglass floors, a crossmember (minimum 2" X 2" X 0.083" wall square steel tubing) must be installed between frame rails for proper driver's seat belt installation."

Common sense would tell you that this also applies to wood floors.

Also, resist any temptation to mount shoulder belts to the floor if you're using aftermarket 2" or 3" belts. Shoulder belts should be mounted in the line of pull, even with, to a max of 4" below the shoulders. This will require more fabrication of steel mounting structure. Mounting belts to the floor and bringing them up over the seat in back will result in an improper "line of pull", resulting in the compression of your spinal vertebrae in a crash. You won't like the results.
http://www.sfifoundation.com/
On the left of the page, click "Articles", then click "Seat belts". Pay particular attention to the loss of strength chart over a period of time. That is an eye-opener
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 AM

Last photo:

Thank you guys for some useful info.
Tech guy - I have been looking for specific details like that but hadn't found anything from this country. Seems like all the seat-belt info in the internet is from other countries.
Cboy - I wish I could take the advice on a state by state basis but I have been through 3 states since I started building, don't know where I will be when I finish, and I will be building to the highest standard I can but a roadster always has some difficulties with some issues like seat belts and roll bars (I do not want to add one). I hope the wife doesn't get too upset when I have to move to a different state to get it legal!

Apologies to 'rod' for hijacking the thread.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
...I wish I could take the advice on a state by state basis but I have been through 3 states since I started building, don't know where I will be when I finish...
Ahhhh, that does make your build a bit more challenging eh?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.