Seat Belt Restoration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 09:40 PM

Last journal entry: Floor boards cut out...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seat Belt Restoration

My seat belts in my 78 Camaro are faded and frayed and unsafe.... I was wondering if there is some where that i can just buy or order the actual belt so we can restore them ourselves. Has anyone done it before??? Ive called all the junk yards in the area and checked the classifieds ads, but no luck! I found some online that are after market seat belts, but they don't seem to be a good option. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

You buy new seatbelt strap material from most professional upholstery supply stores. I have done this to several restorations. You can get the color matching super strong nylon thread there too.

I lay out the old seat belts and sew the buckles on one at a time just as they come off the old belts.

Seat belt material and buckles

Frank
Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

I appreciate your quick response. If you don't mind i have a couple of quick questions.

Can the strong nylon thread be put through a regular sewing machine... such as my moms common house hold sewing machine?

How did you handle and how difficult is it to deal with the spring loaded mechanism end of the seat belt?

Is the material flexible enough that it automatically rolls up in the spring loaded mechanism?

By chance do you have any pictures of the process that you went through in your seat belt restorations?

Thanks for your help!
383 Camaro
Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You can sew with nylon #69 thread on a home sewing machine, but you need to get the heaviest needle that the machine will hold, or you will just keep breaking needles. The nylon seat belt material is very flexible. If you want to just buy the belts already pre-made, there are lots of places on the internet to buy them. One place is www.seatbeltpros.com.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

I have looked at wescoperformance.com, gotbelts.com, and andoauto.com My concern with their 3 point retractable seat belts is that they are universal and not ment for a 78 camaro with t-tops and i cant find any one that can tell me if they will mount up and fit like the original stock seat belts, my main concern is the mechanical mechanism that bolts to the roof of the car and is surrounded by molding.

All of the camaros out there and i cant find anyone out their that has put after market seat belts in successfully... very frustrating!

I do appriciate all the help that i am getting!

Thanks
383 Camaro
Old 05-14-2007, 06:23 AM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

The new seat belt materials that are used today are much more flexible and thinner than the old 60's type. The color I needed wasn't available, so I got something close, and painted them . I know this sounds Mickey Mouse, but it worked perfectly. I used SEM interior dye for vinyl. Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab
Old 05-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383 Camaro
my main concern is the mechanical mechanism that bolts to the roof of the car and is surrounded by molding.
Then by all means, just buy the seat belt material and copy what's in your car while using the original hardware. If you don't feel comfortable sewing the material, take it to an upholstery shop. Most guys will be happy to match the thread to the material and sew them for you, at least I would.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 AM

For a 78 Camaro I have never had trouble finding used parts -but maybe not in your area. To make new seat belts sounds like alot of work considering how plentiful and cheap 70's 80's Camaro parts are Email me at mjangus@telus.net I'll give you contact info for a guy in Vancouver Canada -great prices tons of stuff just needs to be shipped. (If you want... or make your own!)
Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just stumbled across this web site. I think this is exactly what you're looking for. They specialize in replacement seat belts for classic cars.
http://www.retrobeltusa.com/menu/retrobeltmenu.html

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.