Hot Rod Forum banner

Seat Belt Slot ideas

10K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
I have installed 5 pt harness in one of my vehicles. I am using the stock seats. (high back buckets). Initially I stripped the frames down, modified the metal framework to allow the seatbelt/shoulder harness to come through in the middle vs hung around the sides. For the cover (stock so far), there happened to be a seam I opened up ~4" wide, and sewed some "lockstitches" on each end after I split the seam to keep it from opening up more. It works good but the seam itself sometimes looks a bit unfinished, especially when I have the 5 pt harnesses removed (don't use them all the time, still have stock belts also).

Any ideas on how to sew up a "slot". Aftermarket seats almost all have big plastic inserts in them which I don't really want.

Not my seats but gives you some idea of whats going on.

See less See more
#2 ·
The plastic is there to prevent wear to both the seat belt and the seat covers. Your seat covers won't last long if you just run the belts through an opened seam, even if you stitch them up so they are more finished. Once the seat cover rips, it's ruined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.