Hot Rod Forum banner

Seat Belt Suggestions

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 ·
My Willys street rod build is getting to the point where I'm starting the interior planning and layout. I have the bucket seats picked out that I will be using, and since this has a pro-street theme and for safety, I will be adding a roll bar and bracing.
Anyway, I'm trying to come up with some seat belt options, and it seems that I really only have two choices: either race-type setup such as made by Simpson or RCI and is a 5-point type harness (not what I'm looking for--too extreme) or the more generic 3-point lap/shoulder belt with inertia mechanism. RCI does make a 4-point belt system that is sort of a compromise between the two with the belt width being 2", and a single latch, which is what I'm leaning towards now. The only problem I can see with this is that it wouldn't allow much shoulder movement as a retractable style would.
Anybody have any other suggestions? I'm just trying to find a belt style that fits into the pro-street theme without being over-the top. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Steve

#3 ·
When using the pro style belts one does not "have to" pull them up tight like we would if you are on a race course..If you have a roll bar in there you can place a hook in a convenient location to hang the shoulder belts on when you are out of the car and when you get in just take them off the hook and put them in place. the submarine belt can be deleted or installed and not used unless necessary..Still better than any 3 point harness as used in factory cars..If the belts are well adjusted they are fine and if you have all the switches and controls properly located the competition belts are not an issue..

Just my opinion tho..

Sam

#4 ·
My only caution is that you keep "convenience" in mind. I had 4 point Simpson belts (lever type quick release latch) in a '30 coupe and they were a bit of a pain to get into and to adjust properly...so people tended not to use them. My theory is, unless this is an all out race vehicle, you can give up a bit of strength (4 or 5 point) in favor of ease-of-use (3 point retractable). Better to have a 3 point ON AND SECURED than a beefy 5-point under your butt and not fastened.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys...Since I posted this thread, I've been able to do a little more web (no pun intended) searching. Most places have the 3-point retractable style or the more race-oriented 4 and 5-point style. I did find a style that may be the best of both:

http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_retractable_harness_belts/

It looks like it is more targeted to the tuner guys, but it is retractable. I have an e-mail in to the company to see if the belt is an "approved" belt, either by SFI of more importantly the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Also, I'm not sure where the third (retractor) point is anchored. I would think that the anchor would be directly behind the seat at floor level. The picture that is shown is a little misleading. It looks like it would mount up high at the B pillar or something....
Thanks to those who replied.
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.