Hot Rod Forum banner

Seat belt upgrade?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
Guys, I have a 71 Chevy pickup that currently has the factory lap belt. I need to replace these to finish off the interior, but I am looking into a 3 or 4-point harness. I drive this truck about 2000 miles a year so the added 45 seconds to hook into the truck is not a problem. For one, I'd like to feel a lot safer as I am cruisin, and two, 4-points just look cooler! I'd like some of your knowledge of pros and cons of doing this type of belt. My 6 year old daughter rides with me quite often so this is also a concern. I'm not interested in installing a roll cage (as this truck is not a racer), and, I am curious as to how the floor mounting of this type of belt is acceptable and is it a safe way to install these. Thanks for your time guys.

#2 ·
Nick Nelson said:
Guys, I have a 71 Chevy pickup that currently has the factory lap belt. I need to replace these to finish off the interior, but I am looking into a 3 or 4-point harness. I drive this truck about 2000 miles a year so the added 45 seconds to hook into the truck is not a problem. For one, I'd like to feel a lot safer as I am cruisin, and two, 4-points just look cooler! I'd like some of your knowledge of pros and cons of doing this type of belt. My 6 year old daughter rides with me quite often so this is also a concern. I'm not interested in installing a roll cage (as this truck is not a racer), and, I am curious as to how the floor mounting of this type of belt is acceptable and is it a safe way to install these. Thanks for your time guys.
I just bought a set of the 4 point belts listed here - they are nicely constructed. They also sell installation kits to match - this belt that I got has a floor mount which is a plate to be separately bolted to the floor, a 7/16 NF bolt and a nice strong piece of angle. My floors are of a doubled 14 ga steel with 3/4" reinforcing so substantially stronger then normal. If you have a concern, just mount their plate to another piece of steel for a larger bearing surface. The only downside is the lack of color choices - black, gray or tan. My total cost was ~$110, including just a pair of plates and they arrived in about a week (I already had the installation kits from the 2 point belts I'm not using)

Dave W

http://www.gotbelts.com/4popacarsebe.html

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Dave. It would be better to mount the belt as high as possible to the shoulder, correct? With the floor mount, I would think my flimsy stock seat would fold up like a soggy taco in a hard impact. Is it worth doing a floor mount or just figure out a way to mount up higher. So I quess i have to ask, would the floor mount be much better than an upgraded lap belt, in a none raceing appilication?

#5 ·
Nick and Custom -
I might not be correct in my assumptions, but the 4 point belts that I chose are floor mounted are (1) a heluva lot better then a lap belt as they will prevent me from being ejected up and over the windshield or trunk from either a front or rear impact. (2) With a roadster, my attachment points are limited. While I have added reinforcing steel to my Brookville body, I felt that the floor mounted shoulder belts would be better supported by my replacement reinforced floor pan (Brookvilles are flimsy crap) and the fact that it is a 4 point and with the shoulder straps permanently connected at the webbing would hold me in place regardless.

Nick, my seat back (Glide Engineering) locks in place - and it seems to be a tough lock. As far as yours folding - it can only go just so far then the straps and your body will restrain it - and you will possibly have a sore belly - but better then a squashed head from being ejected.

Custom, About 3-4 years ago, Bob Juliano (Juliano's Hot Rod Supply) put a set of 3 point belts in Dick Spadaro's (Dick Spadaro Early Ford Reproductions) Ford sedan delivery in a Street Rodder article. He has since done it in others as well - here's a link: http://www.julianos.com/how2.html

Dave W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.