Seat belt upgrade? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

Seat belt upgrade?

Guys, I have a 71 Chevy pickup that currently has the factory lap belt. I need to replace these to finish off the interior, but I am looking into a 3 or 4-point harness. I drive this truck about 2000 miles a year so the added 45 seconds to hook into the truck is not a problem. For one, I'd like to feel a lot safer as I am cruisin, and two, 4-points just look cooler! I'd like some of your knowledge of pros and cons of doing this type of belt. My 6 year old daughter rides with me quite often so this is also a concern. I'm not interested in installing a roll cage (as this truck is not a racer), and, I am curious as to how the floor mounting of this type of belt is acceptable and is it a safe way to install these. Thanks for your time guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nelson
Guys, I have a 71 Chevy pickup that currently has the factory lap belt. I need to replace these to finish off the interior, but I am looking into a 3 or 4-point harness. I drive this truck about 2000 miles a year so the added 45 seconds to hook into the truck is not a problem. For one, I'd like to feel a lot safer as I am cruisin, and two, 4-points just look cooler! I'd like some of your knowledge of pros and cons of doing this type of belt. My 6 year old daughter rides with me quite often so this is also a concern. I'm not interested in installing a roll cage (as this truck is not a racer), and, I am curious as to how the floor mounting of this type of belt is acceptable and is it a safe way to install these. Thanks for your time guys.
I just bought a set of the 4 point belts listed here - they are nicely constructed. They also sell installation kits to match - this belt that I got has a floor mount which is a plate to be separately bolted to the floor, a 7/16 NF bolt and a nice strong piece of angle. My floors are of a doubled 14 ga steel with 3/4" reinforcing so substantially stronger then normal. If you have a concern, just mount their plate to another piece of steel for a larger bearing surface. The only downside is the lack of color choices - black, gray or tan. My total cost was ~$110, including just a pair of plates and they arrived in about a week (I already had the installation kits from the 2 point belts I'm not using)

Dave W

http://www.gotbelts.com/4popacarsebe.html
Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 PM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

Thanks for the reply Dave. It would be better to mount the belt as high as possible to the shoulder, correct? With the floor mount, I would think my flimsy stock seat would fold up like a soggy taco in a hard impact. Is it worth doing a floor mount or just figure out a way to mount up higher. So I quess i have to ask, would the floor mount be much better than an upgraded lap belt, in a none raceing appilication?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Curious

I am also curious about this.
I have a 65 Chevy C10 and would like to add 3 point belts, but have not figured out how to anchor the shoulder belt that would not mean having a big bolt and washer showing on the outside of the cab roof pillar.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Nick and Custom -
I might not be correct in my assumptions, but the 4 point belts that I chose are floor mounted are (1) a heluva lot better then a lap belt as they will prevent me from being ejected up and over the windshield or trunk from either a front or rear impact. (2) With a roadster, my attachment points are limited. While I have added reinforcing steel to my Brookville body, I felt that the floor mounted shoulder belts would be better supported by my replacement reinforced floor pan (Brookvilles are flimsy crap) and the fact that it is a 4 point and with the shoulder straps permanently connected at the webbing would hold me in place regardless.

Nick, my seat back (Glide Engineering) locks in place - and it seems to be a tough lock. As far as yours folding - it can only go just so far then the straps and your body will restrain it - and you will possibly have a sore belly - but better then a squashed head from being ejected.

Custom, About 3-4 years ago, Bob Juliano (Juliano's Hot Rod Supply) put a set of 3 point belts in Dick Spadaro's (Dick Spadaro Early Ford Reproductions) Ford sedan delivery in a Street Rodder article. He has since done it in others as well - here's a link: http://www.julianos.com/how2.html

Dave W

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.