Seat belts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Last journal entry: body
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seat belts

anyone know if by law i have to have seatbelts in my 23 t bucket in ohio if it is registered as a 23
Thanks
Coach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

The requirement probably varies by state, but why would you consider not having seatbelts?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 PM

I think if it was built b4 1965 you do not have to have them. My 64 chevy didnt come with them.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Every state is likely to be different. Here in California they are not needed if the car didn't come with them originally, it's as simple as that.

My Rambler had none when I bought it, I didn't take it for a spin around the block until it did. I don't need any law telling me to wear them!

Brian
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Who cares about legality!!!!!!!

Why in the world would you NOT want seat belts? A 'bucket rides like a buckboard! Belts will at least keep you in front of the steering wheel if for instance you were to hit a bump or even a rough railroad crossing, especially if unexpected. There isn't much protection of any sort in one of those cars and at least a set of belts might just keep you in reasonable safety in event of a collision instead of being centerline road kill.

Yes, I had a 'bucket for years, drove it for many thousand miles. Road bumps you barely notice in your daily driver can be HUGE in a 'bucket.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 AM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyfnway
I think if it was built b4 1965 you do not have to have them. My 64 chevy didnt come with them.
my 1964 Ford galaxy came with lap belts in the front
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

seat belt option

before seat belts were required by law, they were optional , and there was designed in floor reinforcement earlier for dealer drill and install belts. Back in the 50's and early 60's a lot of car clubs would do a comunuty service project on a saturday to do a free installation of seat belts.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
my 1964 Ford galaxy came with lap belts in the front
Same with my 65 Skylark, I think it was 66 when they put them in the back. As I remember they were optional in 64 in front, at least with Chevrolet.

The thing people don't think about is seat belts don't only hold you from flying thru the air. Which I can understand in a T bucket, a hard hit, you are screwed with or without them. There is hardly a difference between riding a motorcycle and driving a bucket when it comes to a collision. Just like riding a motorcycle is a choice you make KNOWING this, it's cool, that is your choice. So maybe you have chosen to forgo the belts because of this. But as pointed out, they do much more than keep you from flying thru the air in a bad collision, they keep you behind the wheel in a minor one. They keep you ABLE to control the car in a minor collision so it doesn't turn into a serious one.

Brian
Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

seat belts

i'm not sure of ur state, but mine YES.. if ur st rodding it u need to know.. may i suggest posting your question on a T bucket web site.. i know we have members in ohio on the...
nationaltbucketalliance.com
see if ohio.gov does anything for u. look up custom or st rod's. it might be an addition to the antique area..
i'll post your question for u.. so just look for the answer there...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Last journal entry: body
Last photo:

Seat Belts

Guys thanks for your info and personal pref. Some of you came down pretty hard on me for not having them but this has been a long and thought out discussion in our club. We have come to the conclusion that unless you have a roll bar the seat belt would just keep you fastened to a body rolling over and over and most of us would rather be thrown out and take the chances rather than be decapitated by rolling over and over.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

I can understand your thoughts, but you are basing this decision on if you roll over? HUH, do you know how rare it is for a car to roll over? I am in the collision industry, a roll over (and the other WAY out whack urban legend is fire) is EXTREMELY RARE.

There is WAY more of a chance you are lightly bumped and you fly out of the car and get ran over!

Nope, I go with the odds, seat belts for me.

Brian
Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

roll bar.

The secont T bucket I built in the early 60's (still in the barn) got seat belts and a Roll Bar. The current under construction T has roll bar mounts welded to the frame.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Last journal entry: headliner bow ends
Last photo:

This is what I found on laws.com
This pertains to Ohio code
For what it's worth
4513.262 Seat safety belt or anchorage units required.

(A) As used in this section and in section 4513.263 of the Revised Code, the component parts of a �seat safety belt� include a belt, anchor attachment assembly, and a buckle or closing device.

(B) No person shall sell, lease, rent, or operate any passenger car, as defined in division (E) of section 4501.01 of the Revised Code, that is registered or to be registered in this state and that is manufactured or assembled on or after January 1, 1962, unless the passenger car is equipped with sufficient anchorage units at the attachment points for attaching at least two sets of seat safety belts to its front seat. Such anchorage units at the attachment points shall be of such construction, design, and strength to support a loop load pull of not less than four thousand pounds for each belt.

(C) No person shall sell, lease, or rent any passenger car, as defined in division (E) of section 4501.01 of the Revised Code, that is registered or to be registered in this state and that is manufactured or assembled on or after January 1, 1966, unless the passenger car has installed in its front seat at least two seat safety belt assemblies.

(D) After January 1, 1966, neither any seat safety belt for use in a motor vehicle nor any component part of any such seat safety belt shall be sold in this state unless the seat safety belt or the component part satisfies the minimum standard of specifications established by the society of automotive engineers for automotive seat belts and unless the seat safety belt or component part is labeled so as to indicate that it meets those minimum standard specifications.

(E) Each sale, lease, or rental in violation of this section constitutes a separate offense.

(F) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.