Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Seat Pad Construction for Bomber Seats
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seat Pad Construction for Bomber Seats

So now I need to make some backing boards for the seat bottom & back pads. My upholstery guy asked me to come up with something good and stiff. I think this is so his padding and cover work wont shift or look bad after they're installed, which I can certainly understand. The problem is I cant decide what to use. We talked about using 3/8 to 1/2 plywood. I'm worried that with plywood that thick that it will be almost impossible to bend, even if you soak it in water for awhile. He mentioned I could also use aluminum to make the panels.

The seat backs have a gentle curve to fit your back. The bottoms are mainly flat but they do kick up quite a bit right at your thigh.

So what would a suitable matrial be? Needs to be stiff. Right now I'm leaning towards the aluminum panels. I can get the stuff from work (paid for of course)so that's not a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for material or how to work it into the shapes/curves I need.

Thanks
Jim