Seat rebuild? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM
born in '90, drivin a '51

Last journal entry: Engine is in!!!!!!!!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seat rebuild?

So i have a 1951 ford that my grandfather was building when he died. I want to keep everything he has done to it as much as possible. He changed a ton about the car and most of it is great but my front seat is a problem. First is it is out of a BMW, or so i think. It is falling apart, the springs seem to be smashedin the lower part of seat, the foam is falling apart and the cover is starting to tear from lack of support. Where can i get this rebuilt? I do not have the experience with seats or interiors to pull it off. Also it sits alot lower than all the other seats, for my grandpa that was great as he was a big tall man! but not so much for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Have you checked out your local automotive upholstery shop?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Check you yellow pages for upholsterers. Ideally automotive. If none in your area, check for boat upholsterers. Many of them will do cars too, but their bread an butter is boats. If you strike out there, check regular furniture upholsterers. Sometimes they'll take on projects like yours on the side, though they aren't ideal. Good luck
Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Repairing springs, or decking, or the seat foam, or all three is a job for a pro with the right equipment and experience. Someone who only does boats would not be familiar with springs because they are only used in very old boats. Find someone with automotive upholstery experience. Check out these two threads to see what you're up against: REPADDING and SEAT SPRING REPAIR

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-09-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

I live in a small town im talking three stop lights small. and we only have those cuz the highway goes straight through town...... There is a lady that can do reapholstery amazingly but she only does the apholstery and fitting no rebuilds.....
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

If you follow the tutorials available, you will be able to replace the decking and foam yourself. I did it and it was a first for me. It came out great. Keep following this board and searching in the archives and you will learn what you need to know.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

I am def bookmarking dans pages on how to do it! if all fails ill give it another go.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp71e
I live in a small town im talking three stop lights small. and we only have those cuz the highway goes straight through town...... There is a lady that can do reapholstery amazingly but she only does the apholstery and fitting no rebuilds.....
I live in New York City. I can honestly say that we do not have one quality automotive upholstery shop here in this city. I've been into the antique automobile scene for over 20 years. And I can honestly state that I have never ever met anyone around here who was 100 percent satisfied in the work that was done to their car. I'm not saying that these guys did a crappy job, they just did a job that was not what they said it would be. We just don't have the craftsman available here for auto interiors. And it makes sense because it really is expensive to keep an automobile here one way or another. Most people who move here ditch the cars real quick either because of parking or garage costs - try 900 a month in some places.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.