Seatbelt laws.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seatbelt laws....

Just wondering how many states in the US have seat belt laws? Here in Manitoba seat belts are mandatory and you get a hefty fine if you or any of your passengers are caught not wearing one. I believe they are also mandatory in Ontario and Saskatchewan, but I'm not sure about the rest of Canada. (Oh, and if you ride a motorcycle, we have a helmet law, too)!

So, what's the deal? Are seat belts mandatory where YOU live?

Chickie.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2004, 09:59 PM

Yes they are . I think they are mandatory in all states now.

But i dont know for sure.

Last edited by sway; 05-28-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:07 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

"Click It Or Ticket" It's mandatory across the U.S. The fine is pretty small but, I always wear mine.

Mike
Old 05-28-2004, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

$200 fine here in Tejas if caught without one.
you don't have to wear a helmet if you have a $10,000 policy (i think). i don't and have never worn one and have never had a problem.......[i figure if i crash doing 80+++, whats the use]
Old 05-28-2004, 11:18 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

the Man is big on the click it or ticket thing right now. and the popo's will stop you for nothing else. i found out the hard way/i'm a slow learner/dumb s.o.b., x3, and it gets more expensive each time. and you can not take defensive driving for a seatbelt ticket, seems it's NOT a moving violation???? WTF???
but, if people of a certain sexual orientation can become man and wife? then how the hell come i can't ride around without a seatbelt?

damn the Man.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

Last time I looked up the California Vehicle code on this:
Pre 1971 trucks=exempt
Pre 1969 cars=exempt.

I would have to check the 2004 ammendments to see if that has changed...
Old 05-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

its a good idea. Theres no good reason to not wear your seatbelt, and if you don't have health insurance, and get into an accident without your seatbelt and have huge hospital bills you can't pay, you're the reason it costs so much for the rest of us to get insurance and health care, because the hospital makes up its losses on those of us who actually do pay, so put on your f'n seat belt!

K
Old 05-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Race car drivers wear them. They keep people alive. I have them in all my hot rods. I think it is kinda dumb not to wear them. One question though - if government is so anal retentive about wearing them in cars, why don't they provide them in school buses?
Old 05-29-2004, 12:37 AM

Last photo:

seat belt laws

Down under we have seat belt laws Australia wide.
the only exceptions are cars pre 68 not moddified and have never lapsed there rego (registration )we have helmet laws too
push bikes& motor bikes.Push bike helmets are very light duty
harley trikes dont need helmets I think they register them as
tractors

Last edited by ianhealey; 05-29-2004 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

DC, northern VA, and southern MD.

As they say on TV, "If you dont click it, you get a ticket."

Pretty stupid considering my safety is nobodies damn business!

Thee other law I really hate is the damn no riding your bike on the sidewalk. You dont know how many cyclists I have almost hit. And the one I did hit that started pounding on my window. The ******* stopped right around the corner in the middle of the street behind a wall(it was around a turn) by the time I saw him, it was too late.

Stupid *** had ta walk it home! HA!
Old 05-29-2004, 02:21 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

It used to be "only outside town/city limits" here, but now it is all times and in back of the car as well.Evenso the law is widely ignored and not enforced.It is not uncommon here to see passenger mothers with a child on their lap, kids face pressed nearly up to the windshield.Taxi drivers and delivery van drivers are exempt here, immune I would believe!
The British had a huge seatbelt campaign years ago
"Clunk click every trip" and it seems to be a part of preparing to drive now.Also the police do enforce the law.
In the early days of driving I always used mine and after being rear ended and spun round I was glad to have had it on.Without it I would have been thrown everywhere.
It makes sense.
BTW when I worked at GM in the UK we were in the early stages of airbag development and it was decided to go for it as Americans were so reluctant to belt up.We also did those belts that were connected to the door frame and automatically belted you in.
As for your safety "being nobody elses business" someone has to clean up your mess or stitch you back together, and someone will grieve.

Last edited by malc; 05-29-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:53 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Ohio has a seat belt law. Cost me 70 bucks to find out. So I always use them now. Not because I want to. I hate paying out money for nothing. We don't have to wear a helmet on motorcycles but I always do if I leave town. A lot of bigger cities have helmet laws for bicycles which I think are rediculous. Kids get off and on bikes constantly all day long. When that becomes law in our small town I'll quite riding a bike. Can't buy a helmet for everything. Give us a break. You can get hit with a falling tree branch and die (an aqauintance of mine did) Are we going to have to buy helmets if we walk under trees too?
Old 05-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Its the Law, so buckle up, Right?

Damn politicians and insurance companys taking away our freedom? Helmet laws and seat belt laws take away freedom of choice. And forget that bull Crap about how safe you are! Who legislates people jumping out of air planes/sky diving and rock climbing and surfing...no one yet! "Land of the free" my butt!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 05-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

The fine here for not "buckling up" is a whopping $230. And the driver is responsible for making sure that all of his/her passengers are buckled up as well.
Here's a quote from the Manitoba Public Insurance Commission website:

Need more incentive to buckle you and your passengers up? Here are a few things to remember: the driver can be ticketed $230 for not wearing a seatbelt. The driver can also be ticketed $230 for each passenger under the age of 18 who is not properly buckled up, either with a seat belt or in a child car seat. As well, passengers 18 years and over can be ticketed similarly for not buckling up.

AND......according to a Canada Wide survery conducted by Stats Canada annually, approx 92% of Canadians "Buckle Up for Safety".

It's interesting to hear what the laws are in other countries too. I had no idea that the seat belt law was not enforced in Spain. I just can't imagine anyone driving around with their kid on their lap here. That's like inviting the cops to give you a seat belt ticket as well as slap you with a "reckless endangerment" charge and they might even go for parental neglect or some other such thing. Our province is very strict about these things.

Chickie.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I was told there was a big checkpoint campaign around here yesterday. I'm a 99% wearer so it is inconsequential to me!
I used to click it from time to time until a deer forced me off the road and I made an easy exit through the windshield after I took off my seat belt. No seat belt that night and I wouldn't be here!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.