Seatbelts for my 1951 chevy car? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 10:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Seatbelts for my 1951 chevy car?

I need to add seatbelts to my 1951 chevy two door sedan. The car never had them and my family wants to go for a ride. We have stiff fines here in California when not wearing a seatbelt! Does anyone know of a site that talks about where is the best place to drill and install the belts? Does anyone have pictures of there own installs? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 10:52 PM
GothRod87

your best bet be to scavenge some juink yard lap belts..and if you want shoulder harness belts that starts to get rather difficult...the reason i say difficult is that you cant just mount those up to the pillar..you have to weld in a reinforcemnet plate and reinforce the whole pillar otherwise itll rip out in the event of a crash..you might want to look into a set of bucket seats that have the seat belt integrated into them..as for the lap belt mounting them to a frame well would work and be safe enough..the lap belts is beeter then no belts but if rearended hard enough theres a chance it can diembowl you...if it were my car id run two six point racing harnes in the front along with racing buckets..as for the rear id add some lap belts that attach to the frame rail...thats about the best advice i can think of right this moment might have more for you later,
GOTH
Old 06-12-2005, 10:54 PM
GothRod87

one more thing..you might check www.classictrucks.com this is a common thing with them,hope it helps,
GOTH
Old 06-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Don't know about California, but here, if you car was not equipped with belts from the factory, it doesn't need them....................However, once you put them in, you can't remove them.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm lookin' to learn.

Last journal entry: Tear down begins
Last photo:

My advice is look for an aftermarket source and skip the wrecking yard.
Who knows what shape those lap belts could be in; anything from being stressed in an accident to dry/wet rot from years of sitting in the yard. If you want to be safe go with new and you won't have to worry if the belt will stand the test if it's needed.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 PM
GothRod87

The reason i siad junk yard belts is thati was trying to say the cheaper route but if you have the money to spend i definently agree with hucster...since its a rod id say racing harness would be pretty sweet but it all depends on money and your own style,
good luck,
GOTH
Old 02-04-2006, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

I know this thread is old now, but for anyone else looking to retrofit belts into a vehicle, I found a site that may help you out. Just go to your favorite search engine, and look for " andoauto ". I just purchased belts for my truck that retract and have the aviation style lift buckles, all for a very good price. I hope this helps!

The Lone Iguana
Old 02-04-2006, 06:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Don't know about California, but here, if you car was not equipped with belts from the factory, it doesn't need them....................However, once you put them in, you can't remove them.
That's the law I'm following here in NY, my '51 dosen't have them ( don't know of 1 that does ) never did, so I'm not putting any in ither, cheked with DMV they said that was the way it worked, and it only has to pass 1951 saftey standards ( ny did have a form of inspection back then too ), which is not very hard to pass because there isn't much they checked to fail.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.