Which Seats ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 PM

Last journal entry: It's getting there
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which Seats ?

I'm in the process of starting to work on the interior of my '41 Chevy Coupe. The next thing I want to tackle is seating.

I'm looking to put buckets up front and bench in back. The question is does anyone have any ideas as to which stock buckets will fit without too much modification.

There are budget considerations, since I went a little overboard on the engine,tranny,suspention, gages and pumbing.

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated. I'm not opposed to pulling them out of a yard. I do have the skill to reupholster them.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Last photo:

You have quite a range of options with the larger interior of the 41 vs an early 30's Ford. Seating is one of the most important aspects of building a street rod. if it is not comfortable it will not be pleasurable on long trips. Look at full size luxury SUV's or cars for buckets. The rear seat is going to be a little more difficult to fit and will require some research. I know you said cost was a factor, but there are several firms that will custom build seats for your car.

Vince
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Once that you have some ideas of what you need in the way of seats check out craigs list and someof the ads where guys are parting out cars and you can find suitable seats..

Like it was said the 41 is a bit bigger so seats are not a problem..Most seats are about the same size as our backsides are about the same..

the bench seat can be handled by finding one tha tis close to the right size and shape and a bit of work with a hackswa and a MIG will result in something tha twill fit and look good and since you can do the sewing you can have something Just "right nice" in there..

Good luck

Sam
Old 09-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

It seems that a lot of the magazine cars have seats that came from a Lexus. They do look like a pretty comfy seat. When Iwas looking, I was surprised at the number of ugly seats that are out there. The Mitsubishi Esclipse has some weird ones and in kind of nasty colors. I would stay away from those. I think that the mid to late 90's Dodge Stratus and Intrepid have some nice seats for long haul cruising. I have some out of a '92 Trans Am, and they are a little hard on long distance, no real lumbar support, but they do provide nice lateral support. They might look alittle funny in your car, as they are the high back type with no headrest. Some of the Honda seats are a harder foam and flatten your butt on a long haul. I have seen some Ford Explorer buckets that look real nice with the headrest removed. Nice fitting seats that sit up a little bit.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:34 PM
GothRod87

that or...

yo u might try buckets in the back also...not all that complicated either..all youd have to do is modifie the mounts and build a base..mabey make a customs console to go in the back between them,,,you might look into a late nineties monte carlo..there pretty comfy and i believe alot of them were power also..
GOTHROD
Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I was looking and I bet the seats from a jeep cherokee would work out..and if you find the ones from a 2dr version they flip forward for access to the back seats..and they seem to be comfortable..least mine seem to be..

Sam
Old 09-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Almost any late model buckets will fit. If you are lucky, you can find some from a Ford product that has the seat controls in the side of the seat base so it's a one wire hookup for power seats. Seats are a personal preference kind of thing, wander around in a junkyard and see what strikes your fancy.

Old school choice: Corvair Buckets! they are comfortable and have decent upholstery to start with. They have good solid steel frames and standard type springs so they can be adjusted, re-sprung and recovered to match anything. Square shaped, low back, no headrests, perfect for a rod.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:32 PM

I got seats from a 2003 Ford pickup. They were separate seats with a console in the middle. Get rid of the console and they are the right width for my 39 Sedan. They had lumbar support, but they don't lean forword if you have a two door car. I first got some seats from a Pontiac Fiero. They look good too. A friend of mine put them in a 36 Ford pick-up
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 PM

Last journal entry: It's getting there
Last photo:

Which Seats ?

Thanks guys.... I'm off to the "Yard" to see what I can find. I'll keep you posted when I find something that will work.

Thanx again

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.