Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Seats to Scale (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/seats-scale-63935.html)

joeford 06-07-2005 10:39 PM

Seats to Scale

I have a 36 Ford Coupe that I'm getting ready to rod. Is there anyone who can give me some advise as to what bucket seats would look proportionately to scale and not look like they don't belong as many I have seen do?

goth_rod87 06-07-2005 11:00 PM

well if i had to think of something that would prolly work...i think sixties charger seats or mabey gto seats or heck mabey even chevelle seats...camaro seats from a 1982-2002 would prolly fit right....and if you dont like any suggestions you could always pick up a set of racing seats..
thats all i got for ya right now..mabey more later,
GOTH :evil:

poncho62 06-07-2005 11:32 PM

I think that I would go with something small, like a Honda or Toyota seat. I used Hyundia seats in my truck.....fit real nice.

Fat_46 06-08-2005 11:17 AM

The best advise I have is recycled - someone passed it to me, and now I'm passing it on to you!

Don't worry about anything but comfort and height when selecting a seat. ANY seat design can be covered in leather, velour, tuck-n-roll pleats, etc. to fit the look of the car. However, the prettiest seat in the world is useless if it isn't comfortable enough for an extended ride (unless you are building a trailer queen).

As for height, you need to make sure that the TOP of the headrest is dang near even with the BOTTOM of the window opening - perfectly flush gives the nicest look in profile. If you had a car with larger side pillars, the headrest can be "hidden" behind that so that in profile they aren't visible at all.

Surf over to ebay and look at the pictures of the rods on there - you'll see what I mean...

302 Z28 06-08-2005 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat_46
As for height, you need to make sure that the TOP of the headrest is dang near even with the BOTTOM of the window opening - perfectly flush gives the nicest look in profile. ..

I second that, there are fewer things that look as ignorant as seats with headrests in a early rod that stick up way too high.

Vince

astroracer 06-09-2005 11:15 AM

Check out Fiero or Dodge Neon seats. Very compact and quite comfortable and that is coming from a guy that weighs nearly 300lbs... The early Fiero seats even have speakers in the headrest if you choose to use them...
Mark

302 Z28 06-09-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astroracer
Check out Fiero or Dodge Neon seats.

Good suggestion, I have two buckets from a 2002 Dodge Neon for my 34 project, they are just about perfect. They have headrests, but they are the type that can be removed entirely.

Vince