Second battery install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Second battery install

What i need to do is to install a 2nd battery in my truck..this needs to be easily removable as the second battery is used in my fishing boat and by having the 2nd battery in the truck all the time the battery remains charged and ready to go when I can do a bit of fishing..Seems to me to be a better deal then trying to maintain the battery on a trickle charger all winter.

The question is how to wire this up so the battery is easily removable and is maintained in good shape..

Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

They have battery isolators that will allow it to be charged but will not use it to start the vehicle. It is basically a ford style relay with some wiring.

Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The best way to maintain a battery when not in use is a "BatteryMINDer".
Several sites on the WEB explain and sell it. $50 will go a long way to make sure your battery is always fresh.
No need to remove the battery from the boat, just clip on the leads and plug it in.

vicrod
Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Check into the ford F250 diesel, mine uses two battery's and I don't believe it uses any type of isolator. as far as quick disconnect...... use the elec connectors for a forklift battery pack, I use them for my jumper cables on my F250.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM

My GMC truck is wired for a 2nd battery because its a camper special. To add in the 2nd battery all I need to do is put the 2nd battery in the tray, and plug in the relay that is used to turn on the charging circuit.

The circuit in my truck is simpler than most of the newer trucks, but its the way GM did it from the factory in 1975.
- Charge wire from the alternator runs over to a junction on the firewall.
- From the junction the charge wire for the main battery runs down to the starter main post, and from there the large cable runs up to the battery.
- From the firewall junction there is a 2nd charge wire that runs over to a relay on the other side of the engine bay, then to a 2nd power junction, and then over to the 2nd battery positive. This relay is activated by the ignition on circuit, so that the 2nd battery is only connected to the rest of the electrical system when the ignition is on.

The reason they wired the truck that way is that its a Camper Special, and all the camper wiring is supposed to be connected to the 2nd junction near the aux battery. If the truck is off (relay open), the camper draws power from the 2nd battery, but there is no connection to the main battery. Once you start the truck the relay will activate and the alternator will charge both batteries.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Ill give you a tip on how we do this on big boats so we can charge the house batteries with the main engines.
Go to a marine store and look into an electronic battery isolator,it can charge a second battery (two batteries) with one alternator,the second battery doesent get used for running or starting the engine just get charged with alternator and is totally isolated from the system via diodes.
West Marine ,I know sells it.
Just a suggestion,I dont like to mess around with solenoids or relays for this purpose
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks guys..Simpler is better so the next time I go fishing i have a fully charged battery for the boat..I have found the battery minders do not work too well when the battery is only used occasionally so putting the battery in my truck so it is easy to remove and put in the boat makes sense to me..

Thanks
Sam
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Thanks guys..Simpler is better so the next time I go fishing i have a fully charged battery for the boat..I have found the battery minders do not work too well when the battery is only used occasionally so putting the battery in my truck so it is easy to remove and put in the boat makes sense to me..

Thanks
Sam
The guys w/boats I know use either the clamps or a harness hooked to the battery w/a connector to plug a battery tender-type trickle charger into. Most likely that's also the least expensive way to go about it, too. One downside to using the truck alternator to keep the battery charged is that's harder on the battery than a trickle charger. I'd never recommend, for example, using the alternator of a vehicle to recharge a dead battery.

If using a set-up like you've described, like EOD Guy I'd use heavy-duty connectors on both the truck and boat to allow the switch to be a plug and play deal, w/o needing tools to dis- and re-connect everything each time the switch is made.

The battery should be held in a battery box that's securely bolted down to the inside of your bed or toolbox. If it's a deep cycle battery be sure that it's not used in the start circuit of the truck, but this sounds like it's a normal battery used to start and run your boat.

Last edited by cobalt327; 02-13-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Spelting
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
Check into the ford F250 diesel, mine uses two battery's and I don't believe it uses any type of isolator. as far as quick disconnect...... use the elec connectors for a forklift battery pack, I use them for my jumper cables on my F250.
On the diesels both batteries are fully connected for more starting power. This is just the opposite of what he is trying to accomplish. I was guessing he just wanted it connected to the truck to keep it charged. If you don't run some sort of an isolator with shutoff capabilities the battery cables on the second battery will still be alive and have the full current of the remaining battery available. This could be dangerous if the second battery is not connected and the 2 cables are just hanging. If they were to short you could have a electrical meltdown or worse.

The heavy duty connectors are a good idea and will eliminate the danger.

Chet
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Don't think it's the opp of what he wants.....as he stated "He didn't think battery minders work too well when the battery is only used occasionally".... leaving bare cables.... who suggested that.

Here's what I used in my truck and they work well. You'll need one for the truck, one for the battery and one for the boat. They are all the same....no top/bottom etc...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-FOR...item4838009caf

Hold the terminal in a pair of vicegrips, heat it up with a propane torch, melt solder in it, press the wire in, let it cool......nice solid connection.

Last edited by EOD Guy; 02-13-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.