Second Gen. Camaro Ques. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 01:44 PM
drive it like you hate it

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Second Gen. Camaro Ques.

Okay I have a 4 spd in a '77 Camaro with a console. I want to get rid of the console and just have a full carpet. How hard is this swap and has anyone ever done it before? Can I just get a new carpet and use the same upper and lower boots and retaining ring and just screw into the floor? Or do I need different boots and a diff. ring? Thanks for any help...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

I have never see a Camaro of that generation without a console in it. But knowing how they are I would think you will need a different boot and ring. Also the boot may need to be taller than the original one to cover the bottom of the shifter. And then I'm not sure if you will find carpet without the holes in it for the mounting tabs for the console.

I would keep the console or find a new one if yours is in bad shape.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

I dunno, I think I recently saw in the classic catalog that the early 70's cars especially could be had with just carpet and no console. It looks like I've got some more research to do now...Thanks for the reply, anyone else?
Old 08-13-2003, 11:53 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Yeah, I had a '71 with the six cylinder and power glide. It was column shift, and had no console.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

Okay I just looked and the Basic Standard Interior set for the 1970-1972 Camaros comes with a full carpet, no console or holes for console mounting tabs/shifter. I think the boot may be the same for a couple reasons. First, I can only seem to find one type of shifter boot and ring. Second, my car doesn't have an upper boot, but I think it goes under the console and part of it sticks through, so tomarrow, I am gonna see if I can pull up the console and look at it all. Has anyone ever done tihs? What is involved? Thanks for any help...

Edit, thanks for the reply BstMech, do you know if the manuals could be had without consoles?
Old 08-14-2003, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

okay, so i just pulled up the console. All I have is the lower seal. I did not have a boot or boot retainer ring and only 2 bolts were holding the lower seal in. So I am thinking I order a new ring and an upper shift boot, with screws if possible and go from there. Also, I guess if I do decide to get rid of the console I have to cut out the mounts for the console. But I am not even close to being there yet...As always feedback is needed and appreciated. Oh and also, the late 70's could be had with manual shift and no console. I looked at a 1979 Z28 in town here and it is without a console.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

yeah, lots of second gens left the General's factory without consoles. The lower boot is PROBABLY the same. There are aftermarket boots that will work. When you order new carpet just specify it was without a console. The last time I put carpet in a second gen camaro with console the replacement carpet had to be punched for the console anyway!
Old 10-12-2003, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

kool, thanks for the help man, gee i had forgotten about this post. Yeh I got a new upper boot and the console fits over it so when we do get a carpet, we'll just order it as if it had no carpet. The only hard part is going to be getting rid of the steel console mounts so the trans tunnel is smooth on the inside of the car. Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:28 AM

Console

What did you do with the console? Was it in good shape? DO you want to sell it?

THX
Old 10-14-2003, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Well, unfortunately, I decided a few weeks afterward to wait a while on the interior until I had a chance to redo weatherstriping. So I still have the console and old carpet in. However, I am thinking that over Xmas break (from college), I am going to drop in my new engine and hopefully do the interior and I would def. be interested in selling it once I was done with it. The only problem with it is that it has two very very small holes from where the moronic previous owner used wood screws to attach a cheap set of guages and he also spraypainted it I believe because it is a glossier black color. So I'll either make a post here when I have it out and ready to sell, or if i remember your user name I'll pm you. But keep in mind, it will be a stretch for this to happen over xmas break and may get pushed out until next summer or so. Thanks for the interest.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

i did the same thing you did. kinda.

my 78 T/A was originally auto but i converted it. so i dumped the auto console and just had the shifter come up the floor. i cut those brakets off with a saws-all. you could actually peel off the sealer around the brakets and break the spot welds. either way they come out really easy. i liked it at first but unfortunately after a while, i didnt like the console delete option any more. so i found a 4-speed console. but i cut off the brakets. so i had to make new ones and weld them back on. more work than it was worth. it wasn't hard just a pain in the *****.

but make sure you really dont want a console before you chop those babies off.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:07 AM

Console

RedCamaro4spd,

Well it wasn't really for me, I was going to check the price and forward that to members of Second Generation Camaro Owners Group, or www.nastyz28.com

This is a BB and Car Clud that deals with 2nd Gens only, both Camaro and T/A's. You should check it out.

But instead of pulling the consloe out, why don't you get a manual console like Bandit did? It would be nice to have, and it would keep the value of your car up in case you ever wanted to sell it.

Just a thought..

-shawn
Old 10-15-2003, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

well guys, thanks for the input definately. Glad I finally heard from someone who actually did the swap and what there feelings on it were. Just so everyone knows, when the prev. owner swapped to a manual, he at least put in the 4spd console. I was just wanting this cause I loved how it cleaned up the interior on these cars. But I will def. consider leaving it in when I do get around to messing with the interior. And a question for Bandit T/A, what exactly did you not like about not having a console, anything besides the usual nowhere to put stuff?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

i didnt want the console because i did like the look without it. it resembled the interior of the early second gens when most came without consoles. however, in the late 70's almost everyone came with a console. so i kinda began to talk myself out of it. plus since my car was originally an auto the console less 4-speed looked like it was really converted. but with the console it looks factory. it just began to look to plain plus i had no where to rest my arm. just kinda awkward.

i also do have a 73 T/A 4-speed without a console. i think it just fits the earlier cars better since a lot of people just ordered them with no options for the feeling of a race car. but the late 70's second gens. were really anything but high performance compared to late 60's and early 70's. they had a lot of options that most people took advantage of.

basically to make a long story short, the console smooths out the interior and gives it a more complete stock look on the late 2nd gen cars. this is just my opinion. but i had the same thought as you did and i regreted taking out the console. so think about it before you do it. look at pictures and try to compare. good luck!

remember its better to look stock and haul ***** than it is to look ***** and haul stock.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

yeh, I see what you mean man. I'll look around and think about it some more before I do it. this is at least a few months away, so I'll have time to make up my mind. Thanks for the help dude...

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.