Second Trans Cooler if Using Stall Converter? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertracker
Should I add a second trans cooler since I am going to run a 2200 rpm stall converter? The car is a street use LeMans, 400 CI, turbo 350 with summit 2802 cam. Now it's using the radiator tank as trans cooler.

Thanks,
BT
For a passenger car I don't think this is a must even in Houston, and I lived just over the county line in League City for many years so I've got some understanding of the weather you're facing. As long as the the radiator is sufficient to keep the engine and tranny in a range of say 180 on those nearly 100/100 days the tranny will be fine. If you can't keep the coolant at the thermostat temp then you'll need to do something more ranging from an external cooler on the trans to more radiator up front.

If this were a truck, especially a working truck my or if you use this car to tow a boat or something equally big, my recommendation would be to add an external cooler. Also, if you spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic I'd add a cooler with its own fan. Most tranny failures I've seen happen in stop and go freeway traffic.

Something I noticed here in Seattle, a place not know for its hot weather, is that the temperature under my truck on a high 80's to mid 90's summer day can get up to 150 degrees of air temperature in stop and go traffic. I discovered that when I was going to install a trans oil pan temp gauge and ran out of time to pull the pan and weld in a plate for the sender. So I left the sender wired to the crossmember and on hot days it read a lot of air temp under there.

Bogie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Considering the amount of vehicles on the highways today that have the tranny coolers in the radiator, you must be the MOST unfortunate person I know! Personally, I have never seen this happen on any of my car's or trucks I have ever owned which is conservatively about 30 in my 45 yrs of driving.
Dam the bad luck. I feel for you and can understand why your "gun shy"

I never had it happen to me.. But I have seen it more then once happen to others... It does happen..
Old 11-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The debates already started it seems. I`ve had all kinds of the strangest stuff happen automotive wise but it`s taught me alot in the process. My belief is still a big external cooler on it and keep getting up. Sure I`ve heard about placing the tranny in "thermal shock" that will crack the case and yeah the world will end. Being I live in the deep south I know plenty about hot tempatures and humidity. But it gets plenty cold down here as well. In 2000, I bought a used, unknown number of miles TH350 lockup tranny. It had never been overhauled either. I installed a medium size external cooler and ran that tranny until 2007, placing over 70,000 hard miles on it and about 50 drag strip runs. The car spent time in the dead of winter in michigan in Feb. Never once did that tranny ever give me any issues.
I sold the tranny in 2008 and it`s still in use by the new owner.
Why I don`t like internal coolers:
1. Dead of winter, interstate, 70 mph. Radiator splits, coolant gone, being it`s winter and high speed, you can go a considerable distance before it runs hot. But, there`s no coolant in the radiator to cool the tranny fluid resulting in a cooked tranny. Exactly what happened on a 86 buick park avenue we used to have.
2. I would rather depend on 100 degree circulating air to cool tranny fluid over 180 degree coolant.
3. If the rad`s tranny cooler has never been flushed (like, who does this?) disconnect the upper and lower lines. Connect high pressure cleaner to the upper internal cooler inlet. or just blast it with a pressure washer. What comes out is white crap that`s really thick, it looks like cottage cheese.
This was what we found when we did my fathers radiator in his 98 GMC pickup that at that time had 100,000 miles on it. But I`ve did other Chevy trucks in those same year models with less miles and got the same results.
Now, not to say any of this can happen to anyone. But it`s happened to me and I do not perfer to go through it again. The inner cooler popping and coolant getting forced in the tranny is what happened to my 79 Z28 which caused it to puke fluid out of the dipstick, land on the header and smoke out the neighborhood where I had to sink down in the seat from the embarrassment. No thanks. Not signing up for that again as I hate to do work and spend a load of money on a transmission overhaul when I could have spent $50 on a external cooler and avoided it all.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM

trans coolers

the vehicles equiped with an added factory aux cooler after the radiator have faired better upon teardown at my shop.bearings,seals etc.oem does it this way for a few reasons.in cold weather the rad will help get fluid temp up.cold fluid is hard to move through small places.in hot weather especialy performance or towing apps the fluid comes from the converter and out of the trans at up to 300 degrees.the radiator nor would an auxilliary cooler alone be able to bring this temp down.it works when you put it through the radiator first to take the first hit and on to the auxilliary to bring it further down.this is best all around for different climates.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I use one of these;

The trans, TH700R4, still takes a long time to heat up.
I also have an auxuillary cannister type filter in the system too.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.