Securing Oil Pickup to Oil Pump - Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Securing Oil Pickup Tube to Oil Pump - Help

well it happened - the impossible.........

my oil pickup tube/screen thingy fell off the oil pump while I was driving. I shut her down immediately and saved the world.

It's a Chevy V8 - big block. Stock type M77 oil pump, stock type oil pan, stock type pickup. I pressed in a new pickup into a new oil pump. Perfect installation - very tight - but it fell off after only 20 miles of driving for whatever reason.

Now I gotta pull the whole motor again and redo it.

Question: what is the best way to secure that thing on there. I've heard of welding, brazing, and a retainer strap.

what is the easiest and cheapest method that will work?

thanks

Lee

Advertisement

Last edited by leejoy; 04-30-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

Lee,get it tack welded by someone that has a MIG welder.I use a Moroso pickup that can be bolted in place,and I also got it tack welded.Check this link.
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=12002

Mine is the one in the middle,I have a small spacer between the bracket that bolts to the pump body and the pump body itself.It's not going to fall off !!!
Guy
Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Hiltz
Lee,get it tack welded by someone that has a MIG welder.I use a Moroso pickup that can be bolted in place,and I also got it tack welded.Check this link.
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=12002

Mine is the one in the middle,I have a small spacer between the bracket that bolts to the pump body and the pump body itself.It's not going to fall off !!!
Guy
I've got a MIG welder - just wasnt sure if that weld would be good. The pump body is iron and the tube is thin steel - thought it might burn a hole in the tube if my welding is bad.

So you are saying that that Moroso pickup you've got bolts to the pump housing? I'll take a closer look at it and the pump.

Lee
Old 04-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I also use the meiling or moroso pump and pickup combinations that bolt to the housing. I feel most confident with this setup.

Welding to cast iron pump housing is not always the best idea and vibration are just as likely to break a weak weld as they are to shake a tight pressed pickup loose. I have used epoxy to hold it in for sure and that works well too.

But nothing works as well as a good old fashioned bolt.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
I also use the meiling or moroso pump and pickup combinations that bolt to the housing. I feel most confident with this setup.

Welding to cast iron pump housing is not always the best idea and vibration are just as likely to break a weak weld as they are to shake a tight pressed pickup loose. I have used epoxy to hold it in for sure and that works well too.

But nothing works as well as a good old fashioned bolt.
I agree with what you say - makes sense. It may last for a while but after enough heat cycles and vibrations the weld may go bad - it's possible since the 2 materials are different.

sounds like I need to get one with a securing strap that bolts.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 PM

If you are afraid to weld it , drill a 1/8 hole through it and install a cotter pin in it .
Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justold
If you are afraid to weld it , drill a 1/8 hole through it and install a cotter pin in it .
interesting idea but I don't think I'll do that. are you talking about drilling through the oil pump housing and pickup tube? that would probably work but may weaken the housing. I'll try to get one of those bolt on types that get secured to the pump housing or something else. I may weld it also just for good measure.

those things are not cheap. I was just looking at Summit - looks like $40 or more.

Lee
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

My old pump had the pick up welded to it for many years and the weld was still as good as the day it was put on.
Guy
Old 04-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

You can get the oil pan off a BBC in a Nova. You'll need to jack the motor up, off the motor mounts.
Unbolt the headers from the exhaust and engine. Remove the spark plugs. Remove the distributor cap. May have to remove the fan or the top of the fan shroud. Remove the engine mount thru bolts and loosen or remove the trans mount bolt. Jack the motor up with a floor jack and block of wood on the oil pan and support the jacked up motor with wooden blocks wedged under the motor mounts so you can remove the jack and get the oil pan off and back on. May have to remove the starter.

Lay a good tack weld bead with the mig welder on the pickup tube. It will hold.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

oil pickup tube

I might weld it, cause I don't think there would be that much vibration in the oil.
I different would not drill a hole thought the pump and tube housing for a carter pin. I would be afraid it'd suck air instead of oil, especially when cold. I give $40. to keep from putting the pan. I mean oil, filter , gasket (that'd be about $40. buck)besides the time and work.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:44 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
You can get the oil pan off a BBC in a Nova. You'll need to jack the motor up, off the motor mounts.
Unbolt the headers from the exhaust and engine. Remove the spark plugs. Remove the distributor cap. May have to remove the fan or the top of the fan shroud. Remove the engine mount thru bolts and loosen or remove the trans mount bolt. Jack the motor up with a floor jack and block of wood on the oil pan and support the jacked up motor with wooden blocks wedged under the motor mounts so you can remove the jack and get the oil pan off and back on. May have to remove the starter.

Lay a good tack weld bead with the mig welder on the pickup tube. It will hold.
hey F-bird - hows it going bud - havent chatted in a while.

I think you are right about doing this by just jacking up the the motor, but I decided to pull the whole fricking thing. I was under the car lastnight looking at it. I "might" be able to lift the motor/trans enough to get the pan out of there but it will be tight. I'm just going to attach a lift plate to the manifold and pull the entire motor/trans at once.

this sucks big time.

Lee
Old 05-01-2008, 04:56 PM

I'd braze it if you have access to a acetelene/oxygen rig. Lower heat than a weld. Braze will flow like solder. Clean everything and use brazing flux.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5605
I'd braze it if you have access to a acetelene/oxygen rig. Lower heat than a weld. Braze will flow like solder. Clean everything and use brazing flux.
there is a welding guy around here I called. He said bring it to him. I'll see what he says when he looks at it.

I agree that brazing or possibly TIG weld would be best for that application.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Twin Turbo Drag Boat

Last journal entry: Random In Progress Shots

Weld it on or weld a strap onto the pickup and bolt it on the pump.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 PM

pickup tube.

Moroso and Milodon both have pickup tubes that have an additional bracket to secure it to the oil pump housing. The only big block I ever owned had the pickup tube secured with a lenth of coathanger wire wrapped around the tube and bolted down in 2 places. Not pretty, but it worked; I replaced it with a Milodon piece when I rebuilt the engine. I've never had one fall off, and I've never had one welded on.I prefer to use the Moroso/Milodon units.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.