Sedan/delivery is finally in color. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
.... that also makes up for my shortcomings as a painter.

Shortcomings as a painter? You? After that??? Very nice job!

In a while, Chet.

(BTW, I think I see a run, better break out the DA and start over... ) J/K!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jerry (454Rattler) just stopped over to take a look in person. He noted that the pictures I posted above appear to show the paint a little "flatter" than it is in real life. I think that is because those shots were taken using a flash tending to show the color well but wiped out some of the reflectivity of the paint in the process.

Anyhow, here's a couple of shots that were taken without the flash and I think Jerry is right that they do give a better idea of the reflectivity prior to cut & buff.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
Shortcomings or excessive personal criticism of your own work? We are our own worst critics.
Ain't that the truth. Flaws we all get em, and when we do,be sure that we know exactly where they are. Hey a place like maaco or shrieb don't even always paint the roofs , based on a story the tech school instructor told of a van painted by them years ago.

Unfortunately if you have a tigerstripe in the color, don't think a cut and buff will take care of that. Would probably take blending of base over the bad area, and reclearing, but I see no place that would make it easy to clear just the roof if you wanted to redo it, with the no break lines between the roof back and sides. Probably repainting would end up at the minimum blending clear on the front pillar and going down to the style lines, and the hard line surrounding the rear window opening from what I can tell. But honestly how many people would crawl up and check that roof, I am guessing it would be hard to see from ground level.

Yeah its good practice to tack between coats of base, and more so if dry spray is collecting and landing on panels.
Still looks pretty good to me judging by the pics, and you deserve a pat on the back. Pretty ambitious painting that kind of area along with a pearl color for a first timer. Its all a learning experience, and I still haven't learned how to acheive perfection.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
After many months of prepping the body, I'm finally shooting paint. More pictures and description in my journal.

For those interested in this particular color, I have a section in my journal of photos taken under different lighting (no camera flash). It will give you some idea of how this paint takes on different characteristics depending on lighting conditions.
It is Beautiful!!! Great Job

52F1
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
Shortcomings or excessive personal criticism of your own work? We are our own worst critics.
That is for sure. I guess it just goes with the territory. We get so close to our own projects that all we can see are the flaws and imperfections. We just know them too well.

But then these flaws and imperfections also become the basis for learning...and doing it better next time around. And one of the reasons I like to point out my own mistakes is so that others might be able to avoid them when they tackle a similar project or task.

But it goes without saying, I am happy, proud, and a bit relieved about this paint job. It has been a long and daunting task. And all-in-all it turned out better than I had anticipated.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

you may have said but I missed it, what paint and color is that ??

House of Kolor ??

Thanks! Awesome Job !
Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthmonster
...what paint and color is that?
It's Restoration Shop's Firethorn Red Pearl BC/CC urethane. The clear is Kustom Shop's speed clear. I got it on line through TCP Global. Here's the info and tech sheet link.

Compared to HOK, PPG, or Dupont, this is definitely a budget saver paint. At $240 for the entire kit (base, clear and all the required hardeners and reducers) it is hard to beat the price. Most cars could probably be done with one kit but I ordered two because I was also doing my chassis which can be seen below and in my journal.

I'm a novice painter (this is my very first BC/CC attempt) so I have very little to compare it with other than a couple cars I shot in lacquer and one I shot with SS urethane some years ago. But I couldn't be happier with the way the paint and the clear performed. Any errors of flaws in the finish can be 100% traced back to the PAINTER and not the paint.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Wouldn't you know. I get to the last day of painting and I FINALLY get a handle on shooting the clear with almost no orange peel. Makes me want to start over.........NOT.

Anyhow, here are some shots of the final day of painting. More pics in my journal if you are interested.

Here's the side panel of the pickup bed.

And here's a close up of that same panel...hopefully you can see the camera AND the painter.

Tailgate view of the the bed.

A rear fender (hung sideways for painting).

And a close up up that fender...hopefully you can see the camera reflection. And tha's my mug just to the left of the camera.

The pieces I shot today should take only a minimum of cutting and buffing. The earlier pieces are going to take a little more work with the wet sanding to knock down the peel.

Anyhow, it feels good to have this portion of the project under my belt. And my wife is ecstatic that I won't be dragging bondo dust into the house every night like I have been for these past many months.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Man, I like that color! looking very good, Dewey. Now, if you're not doing anything next week, I'll send you the rest of my car that I haven't painted yet...Practice makes perfect you know, you are dang near there right now,,,
I need a LOT of practice to get to where you're at.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

One of the drawbacks to painting an "exploded" car is what to do with all the parts and pieces to keep them clean and out of harms way once they are finished. I started rearranging my shop this morning to move on to the next task (cut and buff) and realized I had no place in the garage or shop to keep this piece without running the risk of messing them up somehow. So into the rec room they went. Dorothy is going to kill me when she gets home from work!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
So into the rec room they went. Dorothy is going to kill me when she gets home from work!!!!!!

You might want to remove the transmission from the bathtub and take the carb out of the dishwasher too....

Looks awesome Dewey! I may have to book another trip up to see this again in person. I'll schedule it for three days after you are done polishing it.

In a while, Chet.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Great job Dewey....you da man!
I'll second that. Hey Dewey just got your latest pics from Rick looks great
incase you don't know who this is its Dean. Rick and Joe P bud you know with WSRA.
Anyways glad I found your hiding place, looks like you've been hard at it as usual The best Dean
Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Excellent work for a rookie.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Deanyo
...in case you don't know who this is its Dean.
Whoa, Dean, great to see you've found your way to Hotrodder.com. I've been hanging out here since 2004. Good folks here and they've been a great help to me on my projects. They even let me be a moderator now...which means I can kick you silly buns off of here at the drop of a hat (I take my beer COLD and my burgers HOT with just a little ketchup).

Rick says he's heading to Bonneville this year. You going?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Flatery will get you no where.
Boy I wish I could make the salt but I'm now part of the unemployed.Not good if you know what I mean. You coming down for Boondockers Show? You got to see my new ride a 57 GMC no show pc by no means but lots a fun. Great hearing from you.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.