Hot Rod Forum banner

Sedan Delivery headliner

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  bear lake rodder 
#1 ·
I am finishing my 48 Chevy Sedan Delivery this winter and need some guidance on installing a "hard" headliner instead of spending $400 at Chevs of the 40s. I searched posts on this topic but didn't find much except Dan TwoLakes mentioning installing luan on the roof in one post. My questions: 1) how "bendable" is the luan? 2) is the luan I should use 1/4 inch thick? 3) do I glue 1/8" foam on the luan and then cover with fabric? 4) what kind of fabric is recommended?
Any other recommendations or suggestions?
Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thank you!

#2 ·
I have a 50 Ply station wagon. I also wanted to do a hard headliner instead of fabric. I got 1/4"luan at Home Depot. It comes in either 4x8 or a 4x4 sheet. I got two 4x4 sheets thinking it would be easier to do. Well, it's not. I am only telling you this from my personal experience. It was a PITA to try and get these to fit and trying to figure out where to cut to fit around everything.
I'm not saying it can't be done but unless you have previous experience and get a friend to help(need extra hands) I got the fabric put up be a local upholsterer and it looks great.

#3 ·
Thank you for letting me know your experience with luan. I will check with some local hot rod guys about upholstery shops that may help. Chevs of the 40s has headliners for $250 but the install kit is another $150. Just trying to think of street rod alternatives. I also need to update my journal. I have done a lot since my last entry. Thanks again for your time.

#5 ·
The 1/4" luan plywood is the base that you install the headliner to. The actual headliner board is glued to the 1/4" luan and can be made from 1/8"black waterproof panel board, or 1/8" PVC foamboard. You can pad the headliner board with anything you want to, and use whatever fabric you want to for the effect you want. If you think you're going to spend under$400 to do a hard headliner in a sedan delivery, you are kidding yourself. This is really not something you do as a first upholstery project.

#9 ·
If you think you can do a hard headliner in under an hour, you are totally mistaken. That is at least a couple days work for one person, and that would be someone who has done it before. Do some research before you plunge into a project like that, or you can waste a lot of time and money.

#14 ·
The spray gun is HF # 43760. The gun is a conventional siphon feed spray gun that has external mix, meaning the adhesive and air are mixed at the end of the nozzle. This feature keeps the gun from getting full of adhesive. You can keep the adhesive in the gun cup for long periods of time and still be able to spray right away, without having to empty the cup and clean the gun. It's only $20. Here is the HF listing: Industrial Paint Spray Gun

#15 ·
Dan
Thank you for the part number at HF. I bought the wrong one (93205) so I will go back today and get the right one. It's on sale now too. I hope to buy some waterboard at an upholstery shop here in Peoria, IL before I head back home to Michigan tomorrow. Waiting for a call back from them. Thank you for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.