Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Seeking 383 chevy ring gap specs
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Seeking 383 chevy ring gap specs

This seems to be something of a preference type of question because I have gotten different responses from my machinist, as well as tech lines I have called.

I was checking my ring gaps for a .030 over 383 I'm building (my first), and the top rings gapped at .014 (with one at .013) each, and the second rings gapped at an even .020 each.

These are Speed Pro rings part # R-8902-30. The top ring is chrome moly and the pistons are forged 10.5(approx) Speed Pros.

My machinist told me that .014 is fine if I'm not running nitrous, and that they will open some more after so many miles are on the engine. I plan for it to be a decently strong street engine. He recommended not to go any lower than .012 on the top rings.

The tech lines I called gave me a figure of no lower than .018 on the top rings. The other tech line told me .004 (huh?).

My machinist has the best reputation in town here and I tend to prefer to go with his advice, but I'm wondering if I should just file the rings up a thousandth or so to about .016 which he recommended in case nitrous might be in the engine's future. I sure appreciate any advice. Thanks.