Seeking Advice: Installing Fuel Pump & Fuel Lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seeking Advice: Installing Fuel Pump & Fuel Lines

I just put a new gas tank in my '54 Chevy pickup truck and now I want to install a new mechanical fuel pump and run a new fuel line from the tank to the pump and carb.

I've never done this before and would appreciate any helpful hints and advice.

I think I've got the procedure for installing the fuel pump clear enough ... but I have questions about running the fuel line.

Do I run as much steel line as possible; minimizing rubber fuel line? Or doesn't it matter much?

Do I go for stainless steel fuel line?

Is it better to run the fuel line inside the frame rail? Or better to run it along the outside of the frame rail? And what's the best way to secure the line to the frame rail?

Much thanks in advance!

Alan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

This isn't a dig at you Alan so please don't take it that way. But I would say just answer those questions with common sense answers. Steel will last longer. Stainless even longer. Use as much steel as possible and it will last even longer. I've never done what you are doing but that's the way I'd look at it. Also inside the frame would be more protected. Now that said I will tell you my current project (66 Merc Monterey) the fuel line is made out of some kind of plastic! Looks stock so I guess if the factory felt it was ok to use a plastic line my common sense just went out the window!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localboy808
This isn't a dig at you Alan so please don't take it that way. But I would say just answer those questions with common sense answers. Steel will last longer. Stainless even longer. Use as much steel as possible and it will last even longer. I've never done what you are doing but that's the way I'd look at it. Also inside the frame would be more protected. Now that said I will tell you my current project (66 Merc Monterey) the fuel line is made out of some kind of plastic! Looks stock so I guess if the factory felt it was ok to use a plastic line my common sense just went out the window!
They started using the plastic because it never rusts , it saves weight, heat it and bend it. easy Oring seals.
Alan..just as Localboy says. I'd use steel. Stainless costs more, harder to bend and flare. Stainless is for show so it can be polished to a chrome look. You never see stainless on OE cars. Use as little rubber line as possible. It's always under vacuum on the tank side and inner walls have a tendency to collapse on long lengths. I buy Adelle type clamps at a parts house for clamping to the frame...drill a #7 hole,tap it 1/4" and bolt it.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

I vote for aluminum line. It is real easy to bend, never rusts and looks good too.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, everyone. I wondered about plastic ... there are so many innovative products these days. Aluminum sounds best, and Adelle clamps sounds like a winner ... I was just wondering how to clamp the line if it's running inside the frame rail -- I like the idea of it being protected that way, but I also don't want any movement to it.

Alan
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Unclamped tubing inside a frame rail can chafe and wear a hole in itself from bouncing around. Use steel or aluminum along the frame rail on the outside and clamp it about every 18 inches with an insulated Adel clamp. If you plan to drag race, use an 18 inch length of stainless braided in the vicinity of the flywheel/flexplate or enclose the fuel line in an 18 inch length of protective steel tubing to prevent rupture due to an exploding component. I'm not sure how aluminum will react with the ethanol in fuels today, but I doubt it will be pretty.

Never used plastic, but I would think it would work out great. That's what has been on my old pickup truck for a quarter million miles.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks.

Wearing a hole in the tubing is exactly what I was concerned about with running the fuel line inside the frame rail ... I can't imagine how you could secure it!

My truck is a street rod ... no drag racing intended.

Plastic sounds like the easiest to install ... I'll be making measurements today and buying all the stuff I'm gonna need. Then, I plan on doing the install tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it goes ... and, thanks again for all your input!

Alan
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 AM

I would also suggest using a large diameter, high flow fuel filter near the tank, mounted so it is easy to change. Then use a smaller filter in the engine compartment near the carburetor. You can get by with only the filter at the carburetor, but the large pre-filter is a good add-on.

Bruce
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, Bruce.

That's a good idea because there's no sock inside my fuel tank on the sending unit and I've been thinking about putting a fuel filter somewhere before the fuel pump.

My truck just came back from new paint and body restoration, too, and I'll be doing something very original with my bed (no kits for me). I've already made quick and easy access to my fuel tank which is a 30-gallon tank, located where the spare tire rack use to be (under the bed at the rear of the truck).

Alan
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

fuel pump and fuel line

Quote:
Originally Posted by horvath
Thanks, Bruce.

That's a good idea because there's no sock inside my fuel tank on the sending unit and I've been thinking about putting a fuel filter somewhere before the fuel pump.

My truck just came back from new paint and body restoration, too, and I'll be doing something very original with my bed (no kits for me). I've already made quick and easy access to my fuel tank which is a 30-gallon tank, located where the spare tire rack use to be (under the bed at the rear of the truck).

Alan
If you put a filter between tank and filter, you had better plan on a ball valve or shut-off as it will be lower than the tank and be good for a gas bath without one.

Bob
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that, Bob.

What about putting a new sock in the tank, where it's suppose to be.

There's no sock on mine, but I'm gonna see if they sell 'em at the auto parts store in the morning.

Alan
Old 03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Wearing a hole in the tubing is exactly what I was concerned about with running the fuel line inside the frame rail ... I can't imagine how you could secure it!
Sprayed-in foam.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

HA! I hadn't thought about that one!

Alan
Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks, Bruce.

Alan
30 gallons? That'll cost ya a dollar or two to fill up.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I'm not sure how aluminum will react with the ethanol in fuels today, but I doubt it will be pretty.
I'm not sure either but with only 10% ethanol in gas I wouldn't think it would be that bad. If it hurts an aluminum gas line, there goes the carb, intake & pistons too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.