Seeking the perfect steering solution - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2003, 08:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Seeking the perfect steering solution

Thanks to everyone for all the help I always get from this board. I want what everyone wants. I'm building a 69 Camaro, I don't want a power steering system added to the engine compartment and the pulley system, but I want ease of operation. I don't know if a good quick ratio steering box will accomplish this or if I will need to investigate rack & pinion. Has anyone set up somthing they are really happy with?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2003, 03:04 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

a quick ratio box will make the effort to turn harder not easier.

R&P?
can't help ya there...
Old 04-14-2003, 03:24 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Check with Speed Direct, they have a bolt in R & P kit.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:28 AM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

It sounds like you want (power) steering with light effort- but don't want a big ugly pump, pulley, belt, hoses, etc. cluttering up your engine compartment.

If you want easy operation, you need power steering. If you want big shoulders, go with manual.

I think you can have your power and clean engine bay too! Some later model cars have electric power steering pumps. It can be hidden somewhere else. You will need to run hydraulic lines between the pump and box (they will be custom- different ends on pump and box and different length, etc...)

Rack & pinion is expensive, and you still need a hydraulic circuit if you want power. As for a manual rack, I hope you like Wheaties!
Old 04-15-2003, 10:41 PM

Thanks for your replies. The last post is correct. See, wife wants to par-take in the pleasure, but I don't want the pump, etc. Thank you for the info. I was under the impression that a rack would make it easy. That would have been a very disapointing purchase. I'll send her to the gym.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:58 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I'd just leave a standard power steering box on it, no quick ratio. You should be okay, unless you're road racing, and wifey can drive. If you don't want the pulleys there's not much you can do unless you find one of the electric power steering units. Look at Lexus and things like that though -- high end recent models. If you go with the power steering, you could maximize use of the pump by using a hydro boost brake system. Look on GM diesel vehicles and some other trucks and large cars. At least you'd have super power brakes along with the steering.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.