Seeking a place to begin.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seeking a place to begin..

Greetings every one.
I recently got a 1958 Chevy 3100 Big window. I am pretty certain I would like to do a chassis that has IFS and therefore believe going with a ground up custom frame. I also need to relocate my fuel tank as I desperately need the extra few inches of room to include a tilt steering column. I do not know where to make these posts and I hope to not offend as I am only but a seeker of knowledge. To make it possibly easier I can list what I need help with and perhaps someone can help guide me in my journey, give me advice as to the path I choose to take as I am sure there are many whom have traveled my road and made mistakes and I can learn from your experiences.

Thank you for your patience and I truly appreciate any help. So allow me to begin with a few questions.

1. Is there a fuel tank/cell replacement that I can place under the bed? If so could you direct me to where to begin my search as I have not had much luck on the internet.

2. With the above fuel tank question in mind, does any one suggest a delivery system?

3. Tilt steering column. Suggestions on from which model vehicle would work best?

4. Can anyone suggest a chassis builder where I can almost do a direct swap? Perferrably one that doesn't require my first born as payment

5. Finally, I would like to post some photos of my new ride. How do I do that?

Bill
Clovis, Ca

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

1958 Pu Chevy as is

The only difference is that now I have the bed completely off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6506resized.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	41123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6511resized.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	41124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6513resized.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	41125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6514resized.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	41126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6516resized.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	41127  

Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I only use flaming river column's... I buy the alum fuel cell's, And the frames I usually build my own..Here's a frame I'm building for my 41 willys..Making A Willys Frame !!!!!!!!

I have some pictures of a 58 Chevy in my album I customized for someone... Hope this helps you out..
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. Being new to this whole experience, is there a column you suggest? Or are they pretty much universal. I am going to assume the length plays a part? Also, about the fuel cell. The current one in the truck is "mechanical". Is it possible to place it in another location? Aside from lines is something else I am missing to move the tank?

Your frame looks awesome, unfortunately I am a wood working guy. I have not tackled welding yet. While I would love to have a custom frame. I cannot build one. Therefore you are fortunate.

If you have any advice for me, I appreciate the time you have to provide it.

Thanks,

Bill
Clovis, Ca
Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Zuris
Thanks for the reply. Being new to this whole experience, is there a column you suggest? Or are they pretty much universal. I am going to assume the length plays a part? Also, about the fuel cell. The current one in the truck is "mechanical". Is it possible to place it in another location? Aside from lines is something else I am missing to move the tank?

Your frame looks awesome, unfortunately I am a wood working guy. I have not tackled welding yet. While I would love to have a custom frame. I cannot build one. Therefore you are fortunate.

If you have any advice for me, I appreciate the time you have to provide it.

Thanks,

Bill
Clovis, Ca
I do understand.. The column's I get is universal.. They are GM column's.. I always buy the longest one.. I like to cut them down to fit what I'm building.. The fuel cell's I buy is also universal.. I buy them on ebay.. I run new fuel line every time I do a car or truck.. And the column's, They will plug right up to a new EZ-wiring harness.. I also rewire every car.. And I'm just the oppossite when it come's to wood... I can really mess up some wood !!!! Hope this helps... Thanks Randy... I will not be on here for a couple of days.. I'm leaving for Mississippi right now.. Catch you when I get back..

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.