Seems To Be A Misconception On The Term Ricer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Got-Z

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seems To Be A Misconception On The Term Ricer

Hey, I came across this site just on a random google search and it seems to be a good all around automotive forum. But it seems alot of members think that any japanese auto is a ricer and cant be considered a hot rod. The term ricer applies to any stock honda,mazda, or such that the owner defaces by applying those big ***** stickers (which yield 10 hp gain per), fart cans, and glueing shopping cart handles to the rear. It also applies to Dodge Neons, Ford Focus's and other domestic compacts that do the same thing.
Ive seen many Mustangs and Camaros that are riced out. Now lets talk sportscars. You could say that many japanese sports cars are in some way hot-rods. The Nissan Z32tt and the Toyota Supra are capable of over 700hp easily. And the stock ones can handle any stock domestic car put up against them. Except of course the Viper, C6vette and the $150k Ford GT. And both import cars I mentioned above could beat the first two with only minor changes (ecu, intake, exhaust). So yes you can hot rod these cars. But please dont rice them. It just looks silly. Oh yea I do own two Z's and my wife has a Mustang GT so I do live in both worlds.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 06:20 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmasterM4
Now lets talk.

No please, lets not.

You're new so you won't know this, but the topic you joined to make a point about has been discussed numerous times to no end.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Got-Z

Last photo:

I figured it has. Just like the term Ghetto Mobile You know to each their own. Just dont lump them all together. There is good and bad in all things automotive. I mean on Overhauling the other nite this guy turned in his wifes 05 Mustang Gt to get overhauled and he *****ed when he heard foose put stripes on it. Yes sometimes I think Foose uses too much two tone paint and too many stripes (some look kind of ricey). But dude its getting done for free, dont complain. His wife got a supercharger, killer audio and other goodies. And while Im at it I didnt just join to make a point on the term ricer. I do own domestic cars too and plan on several other purchases in the near future.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I think most of us here understand quite well that just because it's Japanese it's not necessarily "rice" and that many domestic cars get riced out as well. We just don't happen to feel a need to post about it because it's been beat to death so you log on and see a small minority that see it the other way and assume this site as a whole has a skewed view of the import scene. Seems to be a bit of the pot calling the kettle black here........ you've "lumped us all together". Many of us here have owned or do own imports and have the utmost respect for the serious tuners. First impressions count for a lot and I must say your first post here will create an impression.............. I believe the "misconception" is yours.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Got-Z

Last photo:

I dont mean to offend anyone. If it comes across that way then sorry. Just voicing my American right to freedom of speech. PS love the Monkey Mobile. Had the model when I was A Kid.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmasterM4
I dont mean to offend anyone. If it comes across that way then sorry. Just voicing my American right to freedom of speech. PS love the Monkey Mobile. Had the model when I was A Kid.
Not offended at all, just felt I needed to exercise my 1st Amendment rights , seriously most of us aren't down on the imports as a whole but when it comes to true ricers they'll get no mercy here LOL. I just got the impression that you thought all of us hated all imports. I had an Accord EX 5 speed and loved it and my favorite PU was my '86 Toyota 4X4 but I'm more at home with domestic stuff, I grew up in the musclecar era and nothing with less than 8 cylinders sounds quite right to me. Although a good friend had a '68 VW Conv. with a big bore kit, Weber cam, Holley Bug Spray and an Empi extractor that sounded pretty cool......
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Theres some people that'll call rice anything, those are the people that always have stories of how they ended up beside a honda at a red light and whipped their butts (BS! how many times does that same scenario happen? and it's ALWAYS a honda civic with stickers and a fart can eh? ). Those people you just ignore. Most real hot rodders know and respect tuners.

Welcome to the forums

Mike
Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Most real hot rodders know and respect tuners.
I beg to disagree. To each their own but when it comes to tuners, most are nothing but pimped out pretenders. 99% of those guys don't know what's going on under the hood but they can tell you exactly how high that aluminum wing on their trunk is and they can also tell you exactly how much it cost to have all their graphics and fiberglass add-ons installed.

Add on wings, air dams, fancy graphics, and a fart can mufflers just don't cut it with most hot rodders. Speaking strictly for myself, it's the 1% of those guys that actually do their own mechanical work that get my respect. Anyone can add on a 1000 WAT stereo but it takes talent to swap out a 1.4 for a built 2.0 in a Honda or to stick a big block where an in-line 6 used to reside in a 40 Chevy. Rice or American iron it doesn't matter. Someone actually taking the time to learn the mechanics and doing the work themselves is what earns the respect of most hot rodders.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I beg to disagree. To each their own but when it comes to tuners, most are nothing but pimped out pretenders. 99% of those guys don't know what's going on under the hood but they can tell you exactly how high that aluminum wing on their trunk is and they can also tell you exactly how much it cost to have all their graphics and fiberglass add-ons installed.

Add on wings, air dams, fancy graphics, and a fart can mufflers just don't cut it with most hot rodders. .
Centerline, you're describing "ricers". Ricers are not tuners and vice versa. True "tuners" know their car inside and out and only care about one thing, performance. They dislike "ricers" as much as we do. The tuners I have met and talked too didn't have any wings or graphics on their cars and no coffee can exhaust tips. The only give aways that something was afoot were the wheels and tires and some of them sat a little lower, their cars were all business. True there seems to be more ricers but maybe it's just that the ricers are more noticeable whereas the tuners are harder to spot.....

Last edited by Hippie; 10-01-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Most real hot rodders know and respect tuners.

Mike

Well since my work vehicle is a Toyota, Sequoia I guess I'm a ricer?

However, I will tell you this, it will never see a car show or get any fancy exhaust, or 4 foot high spoiler on it, its a stupid Toyota, great transportation and thats it.

I don't need a 17 year old kid speaking for me as from what I see on here when someone posts something about a rice burner you can see the posts of 15-21 year olds line up in ah.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I wont get into this, this has been discussed many times. You guys are all talking about ricers, I'm talking about tuners. Tuners you usually cant tell that their car isnt stock from the outside. A lot of them just ride around in their stock steel wheels. But under the hood they have super/turbo-chargers, NOS, redone bottom end, many of them run a hot cam and many computer mods. These are the guys that lay down consistent 9-11 second runs in the 1/4. And no Barry you're not a ricer if you own a Toyota, you're only a ricer if you have big wings and stickers on it. Tuners DONT have big wings and stickers on them.

Mike
Old 10-01-2005, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

About an hour ago a black primer Accord coupe went by here on a trailer about a 1/4 inch off the deck with a set of 17" Enkei's and a full roll cage, no stickers, no wings and no fart cans. The two guys haulin' it looked more like they should have been draggin' an anhydrous wagon! Plus they hadn't seen 17 in a couple decades but from the looks of it that Honda was their ride. Then again maybe they were rice farmers.......
Old 10-01-2005, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Centerline, you're describing "ricers". Ricers are not tuners and vice versa.
Actually I believe that tuners are the 1% of ricers that I was talking about. As far as I'm concerned a tuner is just another ricer with the exception that he actually knows why a piston goes up and down.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Actually I believe that tuners are the 1% of ricers that I was talking about. As far as I'm concerned a tuner is just another ricer with the exception that he actually knows why a piston goes up and down.
Well, it's a free country, you're entitled to your view on the situation, I don't happen to share it but you'll have that sometimes. Then again maybe the situation's different in your neck of the desert.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Well, it's a free country, you're entitled to your view on the situation, I don't happen to share it but you'll have that sometimes. Then again maybe the situation's different in your neck of the desert.
I think it's more of an age thing than anything else. But you're right.... everyone will have their own definitions.

.... after saying that I looked at your age and guess I'm wrong there. Oh well... I think we're in violent agreement on the basics, regardless of the definitions.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.