Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Seized wheel cylinders 1940 DeSoto
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino View Post
I purchased wheel cylinder rebuilt kits for my 40 Desoto coupe and when I took out the wheel cylinder they where heavily stuck. Does anybody know of a trick to unstick them? I was thinking of dipping them in WD40 for a couple of days. Im trying to avoid buying the entire cylinder ($75 each) If I was keeping the brake system stock I wouldnt mind but just trying to get the car on the road in order to test the Engine and Tranny before I decided to keep it all stock and sell it or start customizing it
You should be able to soak them w/penetrant (PB Blaster works very good for this) by giving them a shot every so often and let them sit for a few hours. Shoot the penetrant in through the bleeder/brake line so it's on both sides of the piston. Heat can help loosen them as well. But if the pistons are steel, they can be well and truly stuck. Aluminum will come out one way or the other- it may be in pieces.

Don't be afraid to take a heavy brass drift and hammer to them. One way or the other the pistons have to come out, so do what you have to- just don't hit the bore w/a steel tool. Other than that, have at it. There's not really much you can do that will hurt them short of using a sledge hammer on them. I'd remove the bleeder so there's no chance it'll get broken off in the process.