Hot Rod Forum banner

Selecting heads

893 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cool rockin daddy 
#1 ·
After some research I've settled on an engine for my Model A dragster/high power street rod. I've decided on a 350 SBC, likely out of a 70s or early 80s Camaro. Once I get it machined with a little bit of an overbore (whatever the most I can get out of it), I plan on running it on E85 (so high octane). However I don't actually have the block yet, because I want to do a theoretical budget before I start sinking money into the project.

I plan on using either a Edelbrock Thunder 1812 800CFM, or a Holley Double Pumper 0-4779S 750CFM. For the application of a high performance hotrod, do those sound like good carbs, or is the 750 perhaps a little low on CFMs?

For the intake I'm thinking the Edelbrock Performer RPM 71011 or a Holley 300-36 Street Dominator intake manifolds. Dual plane so I can get plenty of air, one high rise and the other normal. Is there a difference in performance between high rise and normal rise? The should both be compatable with either carbourator, as they are both designed for 4 bbl performance carbs and risers and adaptors exist?

The main advice I need now is on how to choose heads and cams. Should I choose based on carbourator brand/design, or just on performance? In that same vien, where should I start choosing the parts that will work well to gain me maximum power with high compression (10:1 or better with E85, I belive)? Also, should I look for high RPMs in the 6600ish redline range, or would that be a little high (or low lol)?

Also, do I need a performance crank, or can I use the stock one if it's in good condition and machined properly?

Cliffs:
350 SBC machined for maximum power and speed (no engine yet)
HEI ignition (likely MSD 6AL)
To be used as a high power street car, but possibly as a drag car
750 or 800 CFM?
6600 RPM. Too high? Too low?
What to look for in heads?
What to look for in cams?
Do I need a performance crank, or will the stock work?

See less See more
#2 ·
Why use a older SBC with 2 piece leak prone main seal? I would use a newer 87 and up block that has a 1 piece rear main seal, other benefits of these blocks is you can also find them with factory roller cams. I have a 1972 350 block that`s .040 with low miles I`m looking to sell, I went roller and never going back.

#3 · (Edited)
The specific year isn't super important. The reason I said that is it's the car that I've been able to find junked relatively common around here, a few still with the original 350s still in them.

Could you perhaps suggest a few models to pull '87+ 350 blocks out of? And can I use a 350 block from a car with fuel injection in a carbourated application (seems like a dumb question, but fuel injection is a total new area for me to mess around with)?

#4 ·
Iroc Camaro`s, Firebird Trans Ams, Caprices, are some that came with roller cams. The small block chevy did not change in terms of interchangeability.
My engine is a 1996 Vortec 350, it has vortec heads, comp roller cam, KB pistons, Edelbrock performer vortec intake and jet hot coated headers, so you see, even so it`s a 96 block, common small block pieces interchange.
When chevy changed to a 1 piece rear main seal the flange was made round, so a weighted flexplate had to be used since there was no longer room for crank counter balance. the balancer on the front of the block stayed the same. there were few changes to the small block chevy, the only changes were improvements. I`d recommend getting a book about SBC`s, this way you can learn what interchanges and what don`t. If it were me I would just look for a 96 and up Vortec 350 block. I`ve scored 2 at the junkyard and 1 from a outside source.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.