Selecting a paint color? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Selecting a paint color?

I'm having quite a problem deciding on the color for my 1952 GMC hot rod pickup. I'm down to 2 combinations. Silver metalic(corvette aniversury) upper half and blue metalic(new gm truck) lower half but I'm not sure what color interior? Toyota med.bronze(2010 vienna) with tan interior. So I'm getting close but I have some opinion questions. Do you paint the interior with metalic paint to match the outside? How do you go about selecting between these color combinations? What do you think is this the beginning of a discussion? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Either color plan would look good. I don't think you can get into too much trouble, but....

White, gray and black are neutral colors, and go with anything. The tan.... if it is not too strong of a color... has been used with almost every possible color too.

On the blue/silver combo... I believe gray or tan would work fine. If you are worried, get those paint and interior shades together before you spend a lot of $$$.

With the Bronze, it may be a little more "iffy" with a tan. You would definitely want to get the Bronze and tan samples together to see if they harmonize.

I usually am asked to use the same paint shades inside the car. If it's a metallic outside, you may not like the way it looks if you switch to a solid shade inside.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I think you could go with a semi gloss on everything inside of the door jams in a tan or black -dark gray. Thats the way the factory did these trucks.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Color choice is really up to your taste. Personally I like most anything if done well.

But on the two tone, two tones often "cut up" the car, be careful. And also with the light color on top of a dark color it will have a look like the roof as been raised. The dark color "shinks" things. Put two identical cars next to one an other, one black one white and you swear the black car is a few inches shorter than the white one! So when you put the light color on top it makes the lower half look like it has been shrunk thus making the roof look taller.

Use your photo shop to find what you want.

Brian
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

I would agree with MartinSr on the two tone... but for an artistic reason.

If that blue is a metallic, it will have a richer and deeper look than the silver... but if you put it on the bottom... where it gets less direct light... it will lose some of that magic. Put it on top, and it will glow! :-)

I did a '40 Ford Deluxe coupe last year that was metallic blue over silver, and it came out really nice. I'll post pictures after he debuts the car.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:39 PM

What color to paint the interior?

Ok so I decided that sunset bronze mica(2011 Toyata Venza) is the color for the exterior of my 1952 GMC resto-rod. I can get dark tan visors, arm rest, door panels and seat cover for the bench. What color do I paint the metal of the interior????????????????? Thanks for all the advice so far!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.