Self Check Out //Fast Lane//-Stupid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Self Check Out //Fast Lane//-Stupid

Why do I have to check myself out now at some stores? Do you guys have to deal with this? I went to Home Depot to get twenty pieces of PVC pipe, I got there around 7:00. The only check out that was open was the one where you scan the items yourself (Self Check Out Fast Lane ) and put them on the scale, which wouldn't hold my PVC pipe anyway. I told the guy that was being paid to monitor the self check out line that I'm not checking **** out, tell someone to open a check out line. And they refused, so they did the self check out for me. Haha, that makes alot of sense!

Does this sound stupid to anyone else, they pay someone to watch the self checkout which usually gives every person who uses it a problem. Wouldn't it make sense to have the person watching the line open one of the check out counters since none of those were open, therefore not leaving every customer with the burden of checking himself out. Along with Home Depot is see this poor excuse for and idea being used in many super markets.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Evil as I wanna Be

Last journal entry: First time out in 8 months!
Last photo:

I love the self scanners at the grocery store. Usually, our store has two lines open, which are packed. They'll have 3 self scanners open in addition to those, and it gets me outta there in a hurry. It also lets the little ones help out........and when little kids are on a shopping trip, if they're occupied and happy, believe me, EVERYONE is happy.

I do have to agree with you though. If there wasn't any other lines open, the self scanner guy should have opened a regular line. That doesn't make much sense at all, and it would make the guy appear lazy.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

Maybe the reason they have self checkout is because they can't find anyone that knows how to count change these days! Oops, Sorry the registers do that for them, my mistake
Old 07-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

And I thought it was only me that had a problem at home depot. Every time I go thru the self check out there is some kind of problem with the scanner, then the "gestapo" comes over like I'm some kind of idiot from the 60's (I am) that cant figure out how to use a kids computer, then he has trouble with the scanner. Of course they want to make it look like I screwed up the machine.
But then again, there is an electronics store here in town that still uses a paper and pencil on a carbon pad to write up the sales.
I just dont get it!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:56 AM

Last photo:

i love em'.
they have them just about everywhere you go now.
i no longer have to wait behind some house wife that has 50,000 items when i only have 5 max.

good stuff i tell ya, good stuff
Old 07-27-2004, 01:27 AM
http://www.**********.com/t454

i'm from western canada and there is no self cashiers
Old 07-27-2004, 07:46 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I HATE those (*&^(*&^ things !! I REFUSE to use them. They never work. I was in Home Depot 3 weeks ago, and they didn't have any cashiers open. I had a TON of plumbing fittings, misc. tools and assorted crap in the cart. The "watcher" said that I HAVE to use the autocashier. I said, "Really? You can put everything away, if you don't want to take my money!" and I walked out ! SCREW THEM!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I hate 'em. The local Home Depot doesn't have them yet, but one of the supermarkets do, and i regret everytime I use them. It usually doesn't like an item and needs one of the "watchers" to do something. And if your buying alcohol, one of the "watchers" has to punch a keycode as well.

Between two supermarkets, one with the self-check and one without, the one without is always faster for me.

But as said in earlier post - it's hard to find good help and they don't pay much, and finding someone who can count in english and willing to work minimum wage is difficult, i guess!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:14 AM

Last journal entry: Blasting Cabinet
Last photo:

The "watcher" said that I HAVE to use the autocashier. I said, "Really? You can put everything away, if you don't want to take my money!" and I walked out ! SCREW THEM!

I love it!!! Sounds like something I've done.

We don't have the self-scanners around here yet, but my question is... what ever happened to CUSTOMER SERVICE ??
Old 07-27-2004, 08:22 AM

I love them, never had a problem with self checkers.

If you can't use 'em your probably like my dad, too damn old!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:54 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

snot-nosed little brat...... LOL, Just kiddin!
I mean, we FINALLY found out how to use these newfangled cornpukers... and now you want us to program the VCR ??
Old 07-27-2004, 09:22 AM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

i never had a problem with them until i went to home depot with a CHECK, good lord the girl at the front counter pulled out a hand book. correct me if im wrong but arent these things suppos to make things faster???
Old 07-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

What's a check?............................

The reason that they use this self serve stuff is that they can't get competant people to work for them for minimum wage. In the long run, they save money and it's only the customer that suffers.
Of course, they wouldn't want to pass those savings on to us, now would they?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I usually only buy a few items, so I use the self-checkers...which are supposed to be limited to 12 or less items. What makes me mad are those women who are trying to sneak their 87 items through!!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:04 AM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Hey

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbird
The "watcher" said that I HAVE to use the autocashier. I said, "Really? You can put everything away, if you don't want to take my money!" and I walked out ! SCREW THEM!

I love it!!! Sounds like something I've done.

We don't have the self-scanners around here yet, but my question is... what ever happened to CUSTOMER SERVICE ??
Me too.
Wait a minute! You mean VCR's can be programmed? LOL!

THe thing is it's all about the bottom line. That's 3 cashiers they don't have to pay.

The local Home Depot has one, 4 stations, 1 watcher. It would be ok except you can never find floor help when you need it either.

It depends on the store though. I tried to but a palm nailer at the local store which showed as in stock in the inventory and after searching for over a half hour, they gave up and said "We just don't know where ithey are, somebody put them away so they wouldn't get stolen." Each managers different. There's another HD 3-4 miles away where they have MUCH better service.

Another thing that PO's me is that they often change the brands they stock looking for the best deal for them. I bought some High strength grout for foundation repair. 8000PSI stuff. I used it up and went back for more the next week. No longer handle it! Best they had was 6000PSI. Had to search out a concrete supply.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.